Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So what has your favorite night dive been?

Barracuda
    Only night dives so far have been during AOW and Night diver specialty. I enjoyed them and the best part was how peaceful it was both below and above. To surface and it be quiet with nothing but the moon and stars to see was quite nice. Diving at night hasn't been much different that diving below 30' in the lakes around here. They all require a primary and backup light. I did see a few more fish during the night dives and the vis was better because there were not a ton of divers stirring up the silt.

TadPole

Best and Worst Night Dive all in one!

Little Cayman Beach Resort freighter 5-minutes right off the beach. It had a few of the biggest fish I ever saw. A giant grouper and swarms of sea lice which attacked the uncovered unmercylessly. I was covered in a 1mm and I still had lice around my openings. I kept turning off my light to have them move to other divers. If the fish are there it is a great dive.

Grouper
    The Benwood in Key Largo was good. Tons and tons of huge blue parrotfish.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    Town Pier, Bonaire.

Lots of diversity. I saw an octopus, two Seahorses and lots of other species. I can't wait to dive it again with my wife.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Puerto Vallarta in late October.

The amount of phosphorescence in the water was beyond belief. Who needs drugs?

We went into a small 20' clearing ringed by boulders, linked arms, and shut off our lights. Once our eyes adjusted, we realized the gentle surge was producing a spectacular light show against the boulders in front of us every time it washed against them. Simply stunning. I'll never forget when I first entered at the surface, either, and glanced down to see massive whorls of glowy sparks spinning off my fin tips as I finned to stay at the surface.

I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. LOL
    great description! I am looking forward to a night dive in Coz, if mine is anything like this, I will get misty eyed no joke

Shark
    Best night dive is when you have 10 big Mantas in your face in Kona.....second was just recently in Wakatobi...snakes, rare lionfish, pigmy cuttlefish, nudis, shrimp, weird crabs etc.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo View Post
    The Benwood in Key Largo was good. Tons and tons of huge blue parrotfish.
    Agree. I dove the Benwood early in the afternoon, and then French Reef later. We got back to the dock, the boat unloaded, and there was a young lady, about my age, who was trying to finish up her AOW. The boat captain asked if anyone was interested in doing a night dive. My buddy and I sang out in unison "ME!".

We went back to the Benwood, dove it at night. I'm glad we had the day dive first... so I got to know the wreck, and could navigate it very well at night. I led the three-some, the young lady was in the middle, and my buddy brang up the rear.

Full moon, almost too many divers on the wreck.... we crossed paths with another group of six divers, and it took a few minutes to sort out who was who.

Giant parrots, huge grouper, bazillions of shrimp, phosphorsent stuff, lobsters, very pleasant night dive in about 40 feet of water.

Only had a vauge idea of where the boat was....and there were a TON of boats there that night. But I did a good job of dead reckoning, and brought us up within 50 feet of the starboard side.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    My FIFTH saltwater dive was in Cancun at night. I'll admit I was a little scared. NOt only was it night, but I was doing my first backward roll in entry. Oh, and the DM (who was/is really cool), says, "we normally dont' see any sharks here at night... but if you do see one, don't shine your light at them... it may attract them more toward you...." Great, I'm thinking...

Luckily, the DM gave me the BIG light..... so at least I wasn't stuck with a little pen light.... made me feel a little better.

My buddy (also my instructor) and I roll in, and in the excitment both of us had air in our BC's. We come back up underneath the boat and bump our heads lever so slightly. No pain, just embarrassment. Dump the air, and we're down 30 feet to the reef, he's following me down.

One HELLUVA current. I drop to the sand, and for a half-of-a-split-second I start to panic. But, I tell myself... uh, self... this isn't any worse than the dark and cold quarry where you've been several times with 4' of viz.

Quick check for my buddy, and I see he's swimming off toward a 12 year old kid (and Dad) who are diving with us can't deal with the current and are drifting away. I swim 20 feet to hide behind the reef and stick with the DM.

The first two minutes weren't scary, but they did make me a bit anxious. Once I made it to the reef... it was AWESOME. My buddy pulls the dad and kid to the reef about three minutes later. Tucked in close to the reef, the current wasn't bad at all.

Giant hermit crabs - larger than basketballs, lobsters everywhere, sleeping parrots, sleeping turtle, puffer (pocupine?) fish about three feet long with HUGE eyes, Crabs..... too cool!

One of my most memorable and favorite dives!

Since then, I've done six night dives (I think). Each has been a lot of fun.

My buddy and I now have a saying...."if you have a choice of night or day, choose night".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    Best night dive is when you have 10 big Mantas in your face in Kona.....second was just recently in Wakatobi...snakes, rare lionfish, pigmy cuttlefish, nudis, shrimp, weird crabs etc.

Saw a lionfish in the Bahamas in the spring of 2006. Must have been somebody cleaning out their fish tank or something.... got photos of it too...

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post

Saw a lionfish in the Bahamas in the spring of 2006. Must have been somebody cleaning out their fish tank or something.... got photos of it too...
    Here is a pic of a Manta in my face and the Lion fish...well they said was a rare spotted one that come out at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information