Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary light

I'm looking for a good primary light.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at getting one from ScubaToys of course.

The ones I'm looking at are:
    Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light @ $109
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...D=ShockwaveLED

UK C8 Light @ $59</DIV>
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...RODUCT_ID=UKC8

Princeton Tec Shockwave II @ $79
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai..._ID=Shockwave2

Princeton Tec Miniwave LED Light @ $89
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...ID=MiniWaveLed

At first I thought the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light sounded good, however the Shockwave II light looks good too - 15W compared to only 9 W, although burn time is considerably less.

Anyone have any experiences with any of these? Any opinions? Any other recommendations? I'd rather not go above the $109 price at this stage.
    Last edited by ScubaToys Larry; 07-29-2007 at 17:35.

Grouper Founding Member

I would get an LED for the whiter light. The LED bulb is indestructible (that's why you never see any replacement LED bulbs). Miniwave and Shockwave LED are pretty much the same light with the same lumen output, just less burn time with the C4. I'd pick the Miniwave. It has a 4+ hour burn time on high, which is more than what I need for recreational night dives. It's a good practice to use fresh batteries for each dive, so having 12 hours burn time on the C8 doesn't make a difference for me.

After a closer look, it seems the Miniwave LED light is just a smaller version of the Shockwave LED light ... same light just less burn time. Does that sound right? So if I was going for the Shockwave LED light but wanted something smaller then the Miniwave would do.

Snap!!
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Ah, I was going to see if we could get the bulbs here, but if they're longlasting then it may not be too much of an issue.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I currently change batteries for each dive although I might 'cheat' sometimes and use the same set for a second dive that same night if the first wasn't too long.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Whereabouts in NZ are you Judestudio??</DIV>

Grouper Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by picxie
    Snap!!
    <div></div>
    <div>Ah, I was going to see if we could get the bulbs here, but if they're longlasting then it may not be too much of an issue.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>I currently change batteries for each dive although I might 'cheat' sometimes and use the same set for a second dive that same night if the first wasn't too long.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Whereabouts in NZ are you Judestudio??</div>
    Oh didn't realize you're a fellow kiwi. I'm in Auckland [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Nice. Much closer to some nice dive spots! I'm in Hawkes Bay. It's a bit of a trip to some good spots but at least it's worth it.

Grouper Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by picxie
    Nice. Much closer to some nice dive spots! I'm in Hawkes Bay. It's a bit of a trip to some good spots but at least it's worth it.
    I haven't been diving very long, but seems like there's a good dive community here in Auckland. No complain to the great scenery and underwater marine life here. Just a pity that we don't get a lot of choice in gear selection and that it costs me an arm and leg for anything. I got most of my gear here at ST [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] and can't be happier. This is officially my favorite shopping spot. LOL

Happy shopping!

Grouper Founding Member
    Another vote for the Shockwave LED- it's what we dive with and they're really good lights. Aside from a much more expensive can light, the shockwave is my choice. As mentioned above, the LED gives off a nice bright white light, and with the led, the batteries last forever!

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    I'm thinking my primary light will be a cannister light. Possibly a DiveRite from STs. My "mentor" in AL bought a DR can light and it's sweet. Not to much either. I think she said about 450.00.

Michael

Please PM me if you need any help.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhities
    I'm thinking my primary light will be a cannister light. Possibly a DiveRite from STs. My "mentor" in AL bought a DR can light and it's sweet. Not to much either. I think she said about 450.00.

Michael
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>If you can afford it and have the interest, the can light is definatly a great way to go. That is actually going to be one of my next major purchases of dive gear (probably after I have the dry gloves put on my dry suit). The only thing is I have to mutiply all my gear times two...what I get, the Mrs. wants as well. The price of being able to buy scuba gear. I can't do for me and tell her no...but at least I get to buy new gear from time to time.</DIV>
    <DIV>
    Shane</DIV>

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information