Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on your night dive experience

Grouper
    Images
    oh that was YOU that posted it...cool, ok!....Thanks.....that would have been scary.....a bull,....hmmmmm....lets pretend it wasn't...
    "We have a right to believe whatever we want, but not everything we believe is right." - Ravi Zacharias

Grouper Founding Member
    One good thing about diving at night is that if you don't see the shark coming at you then you don't have time to be scared!!!

Seriously, night diving is an awesome experience. If I could dive just at night, I probably would. But then again, most of my diving is in the dark. In sea water, there's a lot of different life out there. Actually, my experience has been that there's more life out there. Some of my best dives have been night dives. I've seen sharks, huge morays, and lots of other stuff at night that I haven't seen on daytime dives.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    I always enjoy seeing sharks diving. Seeing them on the surface like while on a surfboard is kind of squirrely. Although I was paddling out with my daughter once and came nose (surfboard) to pec with a bull at dusk between the sand bar and the beach while bait fish were running, and it was kind of cool. Stupid, but cool.

Seeing that guy appear on the night dive was very sureal. Not scary really. If he had not taken off right away and I had time to think about, maybe it would have felt differently.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    I am not a big time night diver.....but I have seen some great things at night....a couple of my favs have been/are Kona with the Mantas....in my top 5 all time dives...Had Mantas knock me over....In Aug....had an Eel wrap around my shoulder and moved in front of my face....seen Sharks.....and a few weeks ago in Wakatobi saw on a nite dive at least 5 different types of Shrimp also Crabs, Sea Snakes rare Lionfish, Pigmy Cuttlefish...I can go on and on what I saw that nite.

If you want one of the finest nite lites....get one of these....1/2 the size or less and weight then the light cannon.....and much brighter

Fisheye FIX Light HG20DX

Last edited by Travelnsj; 11-02-2007 at 00:04.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    There's nothing there at night that isn't there during the day. The difference between diving during the day and the night is simply mental. Because you can't see as far, you spend more time wondering what you're missing. I'll be honest, as much as I love it, when I'm floating off a wall 60-70 feet deep in the dark, every so often I hear the JAWS music playing. I have no idea how many night dives I've made at this point, but to date, nothing has ever swallowed me whole . Enjoy the experience. It rocks.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Shark
    I had sort of the opposite experience... I was as apprehensive as the next apprehensive guy before my first night dive, but I found it was actually EASIER to see things in the distance when diving at night.

Up here in Boston, the vis is typically only in the 20 foot range, but at night it was possible to see & signal a buddy from twice that distance or more. I was surprised to find the dive so interesting and relaxing that my RMV for that dive was 30% lower than normal!
    Matt Silvia

Grouper Founding Member
    hey, moosic - where are you doing your night dive? I assume by your post it is going to be ocean and not freshwater?
    I was apprehensive somewhat on mine - just because I didn't know what to expect. Was very familiar with the dive site, so that helped. I've got to tell you, it was really pretty cool. We doused our lights for a while and hung out with our marker lights - neat experience. Saw the largest life we'd seen to date in that area - of course it was a freshwater lake, though. I can understand your apprehension - just try to relax and enjoy the dive!
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    There's nothing there at night that isn't there during the day. The difference between diving during the day and the night is simply mental. Because you can't see as far, you spend more time wondering what you're missing. I'll be honest, as much as I love it, when I'm floating off a wall 60-70 feet deep in the dark, every so often I hear the JAWS music playing. I have no idea how many night dives I've made at this point, but to date, nothing has ever swallowed me whole . Enjoy the experience. It rocks.
    Do not know if I entirely agree with that……The critters may be there during the day but many stay well hidden. I have always found the weird critters are more prevalent at night i.e. strange crabs, shrimp, Octopus etc…..There are a few things in Indonesia and other spots in the world that only come out at night and once a lite is shined directly upon them they disappear….I know people who go to Lembeh Straits and they look forward to the Night dive…..they say it is so much better than during the day….. Night diving is not my favorite as I usually am bored and not generally a critter person…..The only other places I have heard and experienced for close encounters (I mean Very close) with Mantas except the Night Dive in Kona is the Socorro’s and Christmas Island during the day. Also for Shark encounters at nite, one of the finest is the Night dives in the Coco’s….People I have known....swear they have seen 50’s and into the 100’s of schooling and feeding sharks.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    Do not know if I entirely agree with that……The critters may be there during the day but many stay well hidden.
    Oh, I totally agree that different creatures come out at night. My point was simply that diving at night for many people is more mental than anything. What is in the ocean at night doesn't magically leave the ocean in the daylight. People tend to trip on not being able to have the same field of vision they do during the day, but regardless of visibility, the same creatures live in the ocean.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    I always enjoy seeing sharks diving. Seeing them on the surface like while on a surfboard is kind of squirrely. Although I was paddling out with my daughter once and came nose (surfboard) to pec with a bull at dusk between the sand bar and the beach while bait fish were running, and it was kind of cool. Stupid, but cool.

Seeing that guy appear on the night dive was very sureal. Not scary really. If he had not taken off right away and I had time to think about, maybe it would have felt differently.

He might have been shadowing you to hunt using your light. There are a lot of fish that do that, so why not a shark too?
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information