Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Age and diving

TadPole

Age and diving

I was just certified this month, as I approach 50. I did it with my 16 year old daughter, and being in good enough shape to deal with both my diving and her supervision motivated me to lose 17 pounds (8 more to go) and to have begun a pretty active swimming regimen (a mile every other day. But slow - 48 minutes. Man, is it boring! I have to figure out an ipod solution for it).

My diving will be the Keys every month or so, and the Red Sea three times a year (I spend alot of time in Istanbul). I have no desire to do wrecks, deep dives, etc. I'm totally happy to spend my life at 50 feet.

My Question: If I keep the weight off, and keep up at the gym, how many years of safe diving can I look forward to? 5? 10? More?

Thanks.

Guppy
    Images
    My dive instructor is pushing 70 and dives all the time....

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saltfly View Post
    I was just certified this month, as I approach 50. I did it with my 16 year old daughter, and being in good enough shape to deal with both my diving and her supervision motivated me to lose 17 pounds (8 more to go) and to have begun a pretty active swimming regimen (a mile every other day. But slow - 48 minutes. Man, is it boring! I have to figure out an ipod solution for it).

My diving will be the Keys every month or so, and the Red Sea three times a year (I spend alot of time in Istanbul). I have no desire to do wrecks, deep dives, etc. I'm totally happy to spend my life at 50 feet.

My Question: If I keep the weight off, and keep up at the gym, how many years of safe diving can I look forward to? 5? 10? More?

Thanks.
    Darn... I am already past you by 8...

I think the type of diving needs to change, and you need to work a bit more at it... but if you don't have some serious physical problem... easily into your late 60's.. after that, it is the luck of the draw...

Grouper
    I plan on diving for many more years, DR. says no problem.
    I believe in MOF!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saltfly View Post
    Thanks.

The following quote from CNN Workd News archives should tell you something:

Jacques-Yves Cousteau, who opened up the mysterious world beneath the sea to millions of landlocked viewers, died Wednesday at age 87.

'nuff said, you youngster!
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

As long as you are in good health, you can dive well into older adulthood. It's a good reason to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Grouper Founding Member
    Take care of yourself and you can dive for many years. I have a friend who is 71 and still diving and teaching diving. Another who is in his late 60s and is also teaching and diving, including technical diving. Another who is in his mid-60s and still cave diving. I applaud all of them cause it gives me hope I will be diving for another 20+ years.
    RonC.

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble-head View Post
    As long as you are in good health, you can dive well into older adulthood. It's a good reason to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    True words indeed! Although I'm only going on 45, I still feel a little old sometimes. SCUBA has given me another reason to stay healthy!

Grouper
    Images
    I have found diving to be a great motivator for staying healthy as well. I hope to dive for a while at only 42.

Grouper
    my father hung his fins up when he reached 82. he's my hero.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information