Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wetsuits

Grouper
    Images

Question wetsuits

my instructor has said that it is very important that our wetsuits conform to our bodies pretty exact and for us to be sure and get good measurements....he said he would hesitate to buy them online for this reason....what say you guys?? i don't really want anything fancy, but i will be getting my OW in a spring and i'm not looking forward to being cold...so keep that in mind if you have any suggestions...
    "We have a right to believe whatever we want, but not everything we believe is right." - Ravi Zacharias

Grouper
    I would try them on at a LDS then order the right size from ST.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Bad karma.

ScubaToys has a fit guarantee, so you could order and exchange it if need be.

I will say it's best to actually try them on the shop, ideally with someone who knows how a wetsuit should fit. But if you try them on in a shop, it's bad karma to take advantage of their stock and expertise and turn around the buy it online.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Bad karma.

ScubaToys has a fit guarantee, so you could order and exchange it if need be.

I will say it's best to actually try them on the shop, ideally with someone who knows how a wetsuit should fit. But if you try them on in a shop, it's bad karma to take advantage of their stock and expertise and turn around the buy it online.
    Agree with you there. Or if you have a local place that could alter the suit to a better fit, then get the one of the best fit from ST and get that shop to alter it.

We have one here in Melbourne.. and apparently Oceanic Australia does do fit alteration as well. I am still waiting for my ever-changing female mind to decide what I want.

Grouper
    You want a wet suit that is on you so that not a lot water is between you and the suit. The more water that sloshes around the less efective it will be. As such, it is best to try it on before diving it. I am pretty much a stock M so my local shop order what I wanted. The NeoSport 4/3mm - liked it enough that they started carrying it as their low end suit.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moosicman View Post
    my instructor has said that it is very important that our wetsuits conform to our bodies pretty exact and for us to be sure and get good measurements....he said he would hesitate to buy them online for this reason....what say you guys?? i don't really want anything fancy, but i will be getting my OW in a spring and i'm not looking forward to being cold...so keep that in mind if you have any suggestions...
    I do both.. and it depends on the accuracy of the measurements they show for sizing.. and how "standard" a size you are.

If you are getting a super stretch one, you have far less to worry about... would order one of those from ST, and as that is all I will buy now... I'm good with talking the guys here.

Grouper
    Images
    yeah, i think if i were going to go to a shop and try one on and used them for that kinda thing i would definitly have to throw some business their way. its the respectful thing to do. i did go down and look at stuff like fins and regs at my lds. but they don't carry what i want brand-wise, so that is another matter. still i bought a mask from them and some booties and a tshirt and plastered their stickers on my guitar case and have a magnet on my fridge, so we are even. but you say ST has a fit guarantee. wow....that is customer service since its over the internet. well....i'll have a hard time NOT taking advantage of that
    "We have a right to believe whatever we want, but not everything we believe is right." - Ravi Zacharias

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moosicman View Post
    yeah, i think if i were going to go to a shop and try one on and used them for that kinda thing i would definitly have to throw some business their way. its the respectful thing to do. i did go down and look at stuff like fins and regs at my lds. but they don't carry what i want brand-wise, so that is another matter. still i bought a mask from them and some booties and a tshirt and plastered their stickers on my guitar case and have a magnet on my fridge, so we are even. but you say ST has a fit guarantee. wow....that is customer service since its over the internet. well....i'll have a hard time NOT taking advantage of that
    Ask them about the super stretch Pinnacle suits... nice stuff if it fits you (it does me)..you could do a lot worse than one of those.

Grouper
    I will suggest you also give the new "super streatch" suits a try. They are more form fitting than standard neopreme. My work purchased me a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch and its a great suit, but I wanted something a lil less $$$ so I bought one of the Bare Velocity suits from ST, this summer and I actually prefer it over my Henderson now.

Guppy
    I would go to your LDS and find the brand and size that you like and that fits then order it from SCUBATOYS!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information