Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Barrier Reef - Day Trips

Guppy

Great Barrier Reef - Day Trips

Can anyone recommend any good daytrips out of Port Douglas or Cairns?
    I know liveaboards are the way to go, but there are a range of reasons why we cant go on them... seasickness/want to do other things than dive everyday etc etc..
    So which ones have you been to and what were the dive sites like? Good service is always nice, although I am usually content with anything that gets me by. My main concern is the dive site. Which companies take you to the good sites? I know the day trip sites wont be as good, so Im willing to travel to Port Douglas just to get that little bit further north. Also, a good stable boat is a concern (re: seasickness) but its really the dive sites themselves that i want to know about.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davieeeee View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good daytrips out of Port Douglas or Cairns?
    I know liveaboards are the way to go, but there are a range of reasons why we cant go on them... seasickness/want to do other things than dive everyday etc etc..
    So which ones have you been to and what were the dive sites like? Good service is always nice, although I am usually content with anything that gets me by. My main concern is the dive site. Which companies take you to the good sites? I know the day trip sites wont be as good, so Im willing to travel to Port Douglas just to get that little bit further north. Also, a good stable boat is a concern (re: seasickness) but its really the dive sites themselves that i want to know about.
    Have a look at Snorkelling, Diving - Great Barrier Reef - Port Douglas Australia - Poseidon Cruises - PADI Diving

I havnt dived with them personally as I do liveaboards but have heard good reports.

Aussie

TadPole
    Hi i can highly recommend calypso out of port douglas no too big a boat three dives tea and lunch for around 250 aus

Grouper
    I can recommend Ocean Spirit out of Cairns. I get sea sick too, and I was good. Crew was nice and the food was great.

TadPole
    try the vessel Reef Magic or

SPIRIT OF FREEDOM

out of Cairns --------- many other tourist trap boats with inexperienced divers and staff

Guppy
    Its great that there are a few recommendations from visitors from outside Cairns/Australia...I live here and I wish I could make an honest recommendation. Over the years I've been out with all the operators here...some are good, some not quite so. A lot depends with the crew on the day and the weather and conditions of the day.

TadPole
    Is the Quicksilver still in service? I think it was from Cairns but it's been a few years ago. Had a really nice time on that vessel!
    Where should I do SSI stress and rescue in the Caribbean?

Guppy
    Quicksilver group is the largest operator in Cairns...that is since they bought out ProDive Cairns, Great Adventures and a few other reef adventure operations. You can only guess which direction prices have gone with the reduced competition.

Guppy
    Years ago we used Poseidon out of Port Douglas. Our son was about 8 at the time, and they were one of the few that would let us dive and watch him. Although the boat was big and had experienced divers, new divers, and snorkelers on it, they did a good job of keeping the groups separated. On the second day of diving they let my husband and me go off on our own because we were repeating a dive site. On several dives our son would end up snorkeling over us. I would use this operation again.

Grouper
    I've heard Mike Ball is good, but i haven't tried them personally.

Liveaboard scuba diving Australia, the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information