Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Barrier Reef - Day Trips

Barracuda
    Images
    There is a big difference between the Day boats and Liveaboards. There is also a big difference between the different types of Liveaboards that work out on the GBR and Coral Sea runs.

Alot of time it comes down to you get what you pay for. Sometimes if your flexiable you can get great standby rates on the more expensive boats.

I have been on the Spirit of Freedom 4 times and going back this April for 7 days. I have been on others but prefer this boats layout and customer service. Made many good friends along the way also.

If your travelling all the way from the states to go diving on the GBR you will be doing yourself an injustice if you choose day boats to gain your experience on the GBR.

Aussie

TadPole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrdiver View Post
    Quicksilver group is the largest operator in Cairns...that is since they bought out ProDive Cairns, Great Adventures and a few other reef adventure operations. You can only guess which direction prices have gone with the reduced competition.
    I completed my OW certification with ProDive Cairns n a liveaboard. Sorry to hear they have been gobbled up.

Barracuda
    Images
    I noticed that TUSA Dive have a new day boat. Its called the T5. I am going to have a look at it in a few weeks time when I go up there. It looks nice for a day boat.

Aussie

TadPole
    In Cairns and sister of spirit of freedom?

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cole View Post
    In Cairns and sister of spirit of freedom?
    T5 and Spirit of Freedom are owned by the same company. TUSA diving which is based in Cairns. TUSA Dive - Dive Australia with Tusa Dive - Diving the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea

I would call them sister ships as they are completely different styles of boats.

Aussie

Grouper
    Images
    I just got back from a trip down to Australia. We used the Reef Encounter liveaboard. They run a daily shuttle out of Cairns to get you to the liveaboard (you can do single day diving off the shuttle boat, Compass). I was very happy with the service and the meals were excellent. The ride out to the liveaboard was a little rough because of the weather, but once on Reef Encounter, it was smooth sailing .

TadPole
    I just returned from the GBR this week, I only had a couple days to dive as the wife was with me and diving isnt her thing so i planned on a couple day trips.
    I had planned on going with TUSA since I have heard good things about them, however once I got there I eneded up going with down under dives.
    A day trip with 3 guided dive with TUSA was going to run me about $240 a day, with Down under dives I did my advance open water cert so 2 days and 6 dives for $360.
    The boat wasnt extremly fancy but I didnt see anything "wrong" with it and the dive rew seemed pretty good.
    I will admit it wasn't much in the way of a "course" but wtf I got my AOW so I can do the Yongola next time Im in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gragon View Post
    I just returned from the GBR this week, I only had a couple days to dive as the wife was with me and diving isnt her thing so i planned on a couple day trips.
    I had planned on going with TUSA since I have heard good things about them, however once I got there I eneded up going with down under dives.
    A day trip with 3 guided dive with TUSA was going to run me about $240 a day, with Down under dives I did my advance open water cert so 2 days and 6 dives for $360.
    The boat wasnt extremly fancy but I didnt see anything "wrong" with it and the dive rew seemed pretty good.
    I will admit it wasn't much in the way of a "course" but wtf I got my AOW so I can do the Yongola next time Im in the area.
    My husband and I went with Down Under Dive when we were there 3 years ago and LOVED it. The people were great, the water was great, couldn't have asked for more. (other than maybe a good enough reg that I wouldn't have felt the need to quit the training halfway through the second pool day, but I recently tried again (after buying my own reg before class) and got cert. The hubby did his OW and AOW with them during the 3 days we were on the liveaboard. (classroom stuff done before and after on shore) Wish we could afford to go back, we would surely book with them again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information