Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sipidan vs. Andaman coast

Grouper
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere...in Saitama
    Images

Sipidan vs. Andaman coast

So here's a fun one for all you Asia lovers to debate. Would Sipidan or southern Thailand, specifically the Andaman coast, be better to dive over Christmas? The dive club is going to Sipidan in April, so I could go then. I'm flying into Kuala Lumpur, so can go either direction courtesy of Air Asia. Currently looking at a week available to dive. I've been to the Andaman coast, but not to dive, and love love love Thailand. I've been to Peninsular Malaysia but not Borneo.

I was thinking of going to Phi Phi. I haven't been since before the tsunami.

So what do you think?
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
    http://namabiru.********.com

Grouper
    Images
    Aw maaaaaannnnnn..... not even a small hint? Eek.

Well, I am leaning towards the Andaman Coast. I can fly into Phuket via Air Asia, spend a bit of time there, then get on the ferry and go to Phi Phi and stay. I can dive wherever. Plus I just think there will be more to do in Thai. as a solo traveler. I kinda get the impression that the areas which serve Sipidan are coincidental towns, nothing too exciting or elaborate. So it'd be better to go with my dive club.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by namabiru View Post
    Would Sipidan or southern Thailand, specifically the Andaman coast, be better to dive over Christmas? The dive club is going to Sipidan in April, so I could go then.
    I would go Phuket over Christmas. If you have a week you can go liveaboard. I really enjoyed liveaboard trip to Similan. And for Sipadan, April is better than Christmas. You will not miss the big school of Jacks, Barracudas and a wonderful parade of bumpheads in April.

Guppy
    April is still in the rainy season for Malaysia and Thailand (from October thru around middle of may) May thru September is the limits of good diving weather in the region. Borneo (Sipadan) is below the monsoon belt and has better weather during the fall thru spring months.
    Who says Arabian Gulf Divers are mineless idiots?

Grouper
    Images
    Yeah, actually, after finding that it's Thai's high season (which I kind of knew) , whereas I can get a nice holiday price on Borneo, I think I'll go to Borneo. Then I can go someplace new.

But oh god, I don't know. First I'm all, ooh, Thailand, Thailand, Thailand, and now I'm on about Borneo... someone please slap sense into me... (^^)

Grouper
    Images
    One more question. Is Air Asia going to work all right for me, then, with dive gear? They only allow 15 kg, although someone told me just say I've got clothes and I won't have a problem.

Guppy
    Air Asia will be fine. The 737 they wrote off when it speared off the end of the runway at Kota Kinabalu in Nov 2005 is providing heaps of good spare parts to keep the rest of the fleet up and running! I doubt they will use the excess baggage bill they will charge you for your gear to put on extra fuel to divert to Labuan or BSB though (like all the other aircraft did that night!).
    Last edited by gbrdiver; 12-01-2007 at 06:40.

Grouper
    Images
    Heh... yeah, that's right. You get what you pay for, I do suppose.

Well, I've decided. Although Thailand would undoubtedly be more amusing than Borneo, I don't feel like dealing with people chock-a-block so much. Plus I've not been to Borneo before, and Sipadan will totally rule.

So I'm off to Sipadan to dive. I'm staying with Scuba Junkie, so the price is quite right. Sipadan Diving | Scuba Junkie . There have been good reviews for the dive shop and accommodation, so I'll see how she goes.

If I was you I'd go to Borneo. Thailand is nice and Phi Phi. But you will be ther during the hussle and bussle time. Everything will be expensive in Phuket and you may have a hard time finding a "cheap nice" place to stay. Borneo is not as touristy and in my eyes better diving. I love Phuket and Phi Phi myself, but not during high season. Enjoy Borneo, the diving will be fabulous.

oh yeah and bring some good photos back!! you hear!
    BTW depending on who you get on Air Asia they may or may not charge you for overweight. I was charged 3 times on my 7 flights with them throughout Asia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information