Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The wonderful and missunderstood world of JPEG

ok, thanks for the insight. I do like taking my photos in Raw, but once I have my sharpness and white balance set, I'd like to store my end results in jpg format about half the size what the original raw is. Otherwise I soon have no space to store all my nice vacation photos. One answer could be get a bigger external Hard drive.
    Do you keep all your raw's just to view them as slide shows later?

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubakraut View Post
    ok, thanks for the insight. I do like taking my photos in Raw, but once I have my sharpness and white balance set, I'd like to store my end results in jpg format about half the size what the original raw is. Otherwise I soon have no space to store all my nice vacation photos. One answer could be get a bigger external Hard drive.
    Do you keep all your raw's just to view them as slide shows later?
    Save on a DVD (be careful on the format... as I have lost one due to some strange reading issue) and make a copy. Then save in a JPEG with zero compression. Leave that on your computer. If you work on the image, do it on the JPEG, but save as another file. Even zero compression will save a ton of space. A 10 meg image, in JPEG, with no compression is typically around 4 meg (give or take a meg), and you know that a raw is way larger than 10 meg.

Grouper
    Images
    DO BOTH - get an external hard drive (if you watch, you can get 350 gb drives for $100); plus burn DVD's.

I actually set up an old computer as a raid server - so all my original stuff has redundant backups. I had a good friend loose an entire dive trip when he couldn't read the DVD's (the computer he burned them on died, and they wouldn't read on anything else).

Over the years, I have had 2 total disk crashes (one laptop, one desktop) - the backups saved me.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information