Thread: Cold Water with Tusa R240

Grouper

Cold Water with Tusa R240

Has anyone tried diving in colder water with the Tusa RS240 Regulator? If so any issues? I like the reg but never tried it in cold water..

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    How cold are you talking?? That reg, while not set with an environmental kit, has some extra brass at the second stage with that swivel which will act like a heat sink would on a Zeagle ZX, and the first diaphragm, while not sealed, is pretty good at taking cold. If getting below 40, I'd look at sealing it - but I know lots of folks that have had it in temps around 40.

Grouper
    Thanks.. It would be in the 40 degrees mark.. And I wanted to take an ice diving course.. Don't ask why so the temp will be below that but not sure by how much. maybe 36 to 37. Do you think it will hold up?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    How much do you value your life? When you're under the ice you can not ascend directly to the surface and that's not the time to discover a freeflow that you can't stop. It might work, but don't you think your life is worth more than a guess?
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    I would go ahead and spend the money on a higher rated reg. why wait until its to late?
    When in doubt, empty your mag!

Grouper
    So instead of updating my 1st stage with the enviro kit. I shouls upgrade my entire reg?

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kancho View Post
    Has anyone tried diving in colder water with the Tusa RS240 Regulator? If so any issues? I like the reg but never tried it in cold water..

I had a RS-240 that I had an issue with at the quarry one day. It was sitting in the hot sun on a 90f day and then I got into the water and went below the thermocline to 65f water almost instantly.

I then experienced what I can say was that the regulator just wasn't providing enough air that I thought it should after this big temperature change. I switched to octo and got the same result. It was delivering air, but just felt constricted to me.

I acended slowly to the training platform at 15' above the thermocline and hung out there for a few minutes and everything was fine.

Now.... I'm not sure if it was the drastic temp change in a matter of a minute or maybe it was just my body reacting to being quickly submerged into cold water after being on the surface out of the water in 90f air temps while wearing a hot 5mm wetsuit. But something wasn't right.

first thoughts were it froze up. My LDS tech checked the reg and everything was functionable as expected. So I can't be really sure. So it must have been just me.?

regardless, I got a good deal on a higher end regulator and haven't had to worry about it, which is piece of mind to me.

Now... with that said, if there was a problem with the RS-240 (or RS-230, which is the same reg), you'd see the message boards full of comments on problems on them. This is a very little comments on regulator and TUSA makes a decent product so I wouldn't have a problem diving with one again. however, under ICE, you make up your own mind, but I wouldn't use it.

I wouldn't ice dive unless I had two independent first stages as redundancy.

As for an environmental kit, it might help some, but a regulator under freeflow with a an env kit will freeze up just as quick as one without it. Even the big name manufacturers have stated that.

Yup, freeflow is bad but the tendancy for them to freeflow can be fixed by having a better regulator.

I don't know if a persons body could do what you experienced, never happened to me in other words. I've gone from a bit over 100 degree's to 42 degree water so many times that I can't count them, never had any problems other than this stink I can't get out of my drysuit. I think it's likely your mind played a trick on you back then, but who knows for sure?
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will look for another reg with a first stage or at least a really good first stage.

It takes both to make a good combo. Lots of brands out there. I prefer Apeks and Sherwood for brands, others like Zeagle and half a dozen others.

Buy the best you can afford and don't go for the glitzy looking gimmick's, IE you don't need titanium doodads for a good reg.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Thread Information