Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what determines a regs nitrox compatibility?

Barracuda Founding Member
    what makes a reg nitrox compatible or not?
    <DIV>i see some of mares 2nd stages that have a green(instead of standard) logo on them... what changes on regs that are nitrox ready?</DIV>

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    The green...
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>Really, you can run nitrox up to 40% O2 on any reg. The whole "Nitrox Reg" thing was pretty much a scam to get people to buy 2 regs, but now the world realizes that, and you do not need a dedicated reg unless you are doing very high O2 levels, like deco bottles. Then the difference is we want to make sure there are no rubber 0-rings - everything viton, no petroleum based grease, all things like christo-lube etc to reduce the chance of fire with the high O2 levels.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>But for recreational nitrox - the big difference is the front cover plate of the reg so people can look cool.</DIV>

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Larry,

Don't forget the big NITROX stickers on the tank either! That bumps up the "cool" factor.

I'll post pictures of mine tonight.

Michael

Please PM me if you need any help.

so when i do my nitrox course later this year i wont have to get rid of my v16 reg? just take it in and have all the orings swaped out?
    <DIV>thank god, cause i really like that thing.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>thanks for the help guys.</DIV>

edit

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    You won't need to do that even because a Nitrox course only certifies you to go to 40% which most regulators are capable of. The only reg I know of that's limited to 21% is the Poseidon Deep. It says it is at any rate, I don't know if it is it's design or not. It's really meant for gasses other than normal air from what I can tell, ala trimix.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

As long as your diving rec. mixes under 40% O2 your fine with whatever reg you have. No need to do anything.

Are you sure about the Poseidon Deep? I suppose the company could just be saying that about it, but it is meant for Tri Mix.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla
    what makes a reg nitrox compatible or not?
    _popupControl();

<DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>The manufacturers' lawyers... </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Seriously, Larry's response is right on (of course). All regs are nitrox compatible to 40% out of the box. There's nothing special about it. If you plan on using your regs with oxygen mixes higher than 40%, then the main thing that needs to be different is the lubricant being used in the 1st stage. Typically, manufacturers and service techs use plain old silicone lube, which contains hydrocarbons that can go boom when mixed with high pressure oxygen and heat (usually not a factor in breathing a tank down). The standard lubricant used in oxygen compatible regs is Christolube. There are also different o-ring materials available - some claimed to be not oxygen compatible. As for trimix, you not likely to have high oxygen concentrations in trimix. Actually you may have less than 21%. And helium won't go boom like oxygen, so reg compatibility isn't a factor. You just need a reg that will work well at those deeper depths.</DIV>

<DIV></DIV>That's what I'm getting at, is a regulator optimised for tri mix likely to have issues with high O2 mixes compared to the low O2 mixes in tri mix?
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>That's why I'm wondering if this regulator is different than most others. Otherwise as I said and agree, use any regulator you want with Nitrox without worry.</DIV>
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information