Thread: Tips and advise for a better and safer dive

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member

Tips and advise for a better and safer dive

I was all over the board this morning and thought I might post some comments regarding different topics in one place.

advise to offer:

When packing, most of us have checklists. If you don't, you should. When running through your checklist, put your hand on every item as you check it off.

Pre dive checklist, especially for boat dives and divers who don't get the opportunity to dive all that often.
    My checklist was on a little laminated card I made up which I kept in a BC pocket to remind me before I splashed to check..gas on, weights on, trim weights in, computer set, bc inflator connected, fins on (really) etc....

always wet your cam straps before attaching to your cylinder. They stretch when wet.

A lot of DSMB's come with "Velcro Closure Straps for easy storage". You should lose them. The velcro has a habit of snagging on the velcro of storage pockets. More importantly, the loops tend to retain memory and seem to connect at the most inopportune moments when inflating below the surface and can catch a hand, 2nd stage, inflator or other equipment.
    I cut them off my Carter bag and and made a simple detached loop from bungee which I rolled on to my wrist when inflating the bag with a 2nd stage.
    In the pics attached, you will see my OMS has no closure straps. The way I store the OMS, they are just not needed. My Halcyon has a little bungee loop and my zeagle still has the closure straps but I taped up all but about an inch if the straps to help mitigate the problem. Not as good as removing the straps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    Wow, your garage looks just like mine......ventillated shelving full of Scuba gear!

Some good suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Navy OnStar View Post
    Wow, your garage looks just like mine......
    Glad to hear you say that. I hesitated at first as to whether I should post the pic. Thought it might look too cluttered
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Barracuda
    You garage looks to be spotless compared to mine. No worries about your pic.
    Dirty Water Dive Society. Oklahoma City's Newest Dive Club. http://www.Dirtywaterdive.com

another suggestion. Learned the hard way.

I meant to post, which like the others can be discovered the "hard" way.

Many boats require divers to remove their fins to exit the water. Some times the fins are handed up before climbing back aboard. In other case the fins are removed in the water and slid into slots in the dive platform.

I use open heel fins and slip the fins on my wrist when I climb the ladder or lower unit. This way, should I fall back in, I am not helpless.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy OnStar View Post
    Wow, your garage looks just like mine......ventillated shelving full of Scuba gear!

Some good suggestions
    You have room in you garage for SCUBA gear? I can't even get a car in mine!
    dannybot

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    I meant to post, which like the others can be discovered the "hard" way.

Many boats require divers to remove their fins to exit the water. Some times the fins are handed up before climbing back aboard. In other case the fins are removed in the water and slid into slots in the dive platform.

I use open heel fins and slip the fins on my wrist when I climb the ladder or lower unit. This way, should I fall back in, I am not helpless.
    My rule is to hand up my weight belt before the fins. Just feels stupid to be in the water with weight on and fins off.

good point

Thread Information