Thread: Mares R2 Rebel & Brigade Viper Octo

Grouper

Question Mares R2 Rebel & Brigade Viper Octo

Opinions please....

As some of you know, even though this is entry level, this would be the best reg I have ever used. I currently have OLD equipment from the early 90's that still works, but just thought it was time for an upgrade... I am not picky at all and have never had any special stuff.

Grouper
    ADV, is your current reg no more good? Beyond servicing? Cause good quality regs are good for a long time as long as you have them serviced by a competent technician... Sometimes buying new just cause we're tempted by new toys can be avoided (and believe me, I know what I'm talking about!!!!)... Anyways...

The Mares R2 rebel is the entry level reg. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) that it is an unbalanced reg, meaning that when you hit very low tank pressure (like under 500 psi), breathing is going to become more difficult (at least that's what I understand of it). This said, I'm sure it will work fine for recreational diving and it's used around the world as rental/ instruction gear. it is reputed to be very simple to service. As long as you are not looking for optimum performance (like the easiest breathing reg), it will be an inexpensive, safe, durable reg.

If you want something ballanced that breathes a bit easier, you could upgrade to the MR12 proton (not the proton metal, which is way more expensive), which is a bit more expensive. My girlfriend has this reg and it breathes great! In fact trying hers is what convinced me to buy a Mares V16 proton XL...

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Grouper
    I never had anything balanced... or any fins or special stuff inside the reg before and have never went below 500 psi, so I think this is what I am wanting. My old stuff is just too old... has not been serviced in awhile and is big and bulky. Not to mention I look like I came out of a 1970's flick when I show up on the boat... It works, but I just need something new that is reliable.. no gadgets needed.

Thanks for the info!

Grouper
    Well the the R2 will surely be a good buy for you. I'm sure it will be reliable and let you dive safely to recreational limits!

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    I have that setup and it's great! The reg breaths just fine. I haven't noticed it being harder to breath when the tank gets low, but any time I have ever been at 500psi I'm just a few feet below the surface. My only complaint with the octo is that it has a very slight stream of bubbles when you first get in the water. When you get below 10ft or so, it goes away. I'm not going to pretend I understand the mechanics of it all, but somebody told me once that it has to flood. I read that some people make the hole in the plug a little bit bigger so that it floods faster and looses the stream of bubbles. I think that you will enjoy the set especially if you are already used to a no frills set up. Like I said before, I like mine a lot and recomend it. Hope that helps!
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Grouper
    Both of my kids got the M2 and I tried them out on a recent dive. They breath fine, especially compared to my old sportways reg. For recreational diving, I think it's a good choice. Besides, some people think the increase in breathing effort as the tank gets low on an unbalanced reg is a good safety reminder. Lets you know your getting low on air if you haven't been paying attention as close as you should.
    In the famous words of Captain Ron, "If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"

Grouper
    how deep could you go with these regs?

Grouper
    I'm sure the R2 would be fine all the way down to recreational limits. Probably even beyond. But if you intend on going Tech (beyond recreational limits), there are better regs out there for that. Remember that this is an entry level regulator.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MLenyo View Post
    how deep could you go with these regs?

Grouper
    I have this reg and like it a lot, but I would recommend replacing the mouthpiece. I got a SeaCure and LOVE it. It makes all the difference.

I can't speak for the octo, I went with an Octo-Z

Thread Information