Thread: dsat time

Guppy
    Images

dsat time

In surface mode my computer (Aeris XR1) shows time to fly and dsat time. I assume dsat time is the time until your RNT goes to 0. I don't remember using the term "dsat" back when I learned to dive in the early 80's. Is my definition correct?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by boat View Post
    In surface mode my computer (Aeris XR1) shows time to fly and dsat time. I assume dsat time is the time until your RNT goes to 0. I don't remember using the term "dsat" back when I learned to dive in the early 80's. Is my definition correct?
    dsat mean desaturation or the length of time until you are theoretically have zero RNT.

In neo-haldanean/Buelman tissue models, this value is sometimes based on 5 half times of decay for each compartment (N2 uptake/outgassing is an exponential/geometric process, not linear).

For instance, a 60 minute compartment would go from max saturation allowed at the surface to zero in 5 hours. Or, mathematically, at 1hour, its 0.5, 2hr = 0.25, 3hr=0.125, 4hr=0.0625, 5hr=0.03125 or 3% of the max value. Since you're not at the max, it would take less than 5 hours to achieve this value. This is computed for all compartments in the model (8-16 usually). There are many ways to complicate this with different intake/outgassing rates, different underwater and surface rates etc but the theory is all the same.

Guppy
    Images
    Thanks Cavediver. I was deer hunting for the weekend - almost forgot I posted this.

Thread Information