Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hysterectomy

Guppy

Hysterectomy

Hello ladies! I will be having a hysterectomy at the end of Jan. We normally start diving around April or May. Have any of you had this procedure since you started diving? If so, how long did it take you to recover. Thanks for any info that you can share.
    Sherry

Grouper
    New Market Tennessee on 30 acres of wild fruit and nut trees

my mom

My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 45. The doctor she used had her up and around doing laundry within two weeks.
    The niggest problem that she had was the gas afterwards.
    She was given these teeny tiny Phazyme simethicone pills to take. For pain she took extra strength OTC Tylenol.
    She also had staples and glue instead of sutures.

Guppy

Grouper
    Get up on your feet as soon as you can. You'll be miserable, but if you don't you'll regret it. Do your exercises and don't baby yourself more than you need to -- but recognize too that sometimes you will need to.

In general there are too types of patients: those who push too hard and those that don't push hard enough. Both will prolong proper healing. Try to listen to you body.

Get in a pool and start swimming or finning as soon as your doctor tells you you can. Once you have your core muscle strength back you'll be good to go.

Grouper
    New Market Tennessee on 30 acres of wild fruit and nut trees

pilates?

I wonder if pilates woudl be gentler after surgery. I know its streamlines you and tones well, its a thought.

Guppy
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I am one of the people who push too hard so I'm going to have to really be careful!! I was told by the doctor that this is a do now or do later. So we decided now so I would hopefully be ready to dive by the end of March beginning of April.
    Sherry

I wanted to wish you the best of luck...I have wished for sometime for the same thing due to the issues that I have...I think it would be easier.
    Always left holding the fins!!!!

Grouper Founding Member
    When I had mine done 12 years ago when I was 45. I had the same thoughts so I waited until the week after my dive trip to have the surgery. With that said I was up and doing most normal things after 3 weeks, and they had to make an insision, but everyone has a different pain recovery level. Not sure if I would spring back so quickly now at age 57. Most doctors and DAN will say 8 wks but of course they are going to stay on the safe side everyone is different
    Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on http://www.roatanchildrensfund.com/

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    ** I'm no doctor ** Just a thought, you may want to don your gear in the water if you plan on diving not long after you're released to play again.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Guppy
    Foo2, I had thought about that also!!! Great minds think alike!!
    Sherry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information