Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FL Springs

Guppy

FL Springs

Can anyone suggest some springs to dive other than Vortex (which we have done and love) and Morrison's( which we are waiting to do until I get more experience. We have been told that the vis isn't the best there sometimes)? Or if someone knows a good website that lists the springs. Thanks.
    Sherry

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ixrayu View Post
    Can anyone suggest some springs to dive other than Vortex (which we have done and love) and Morrison's( which we are waiting to do until I get more experience. We have been told that the vis isn't the best there sometimes)? Or if someone knows a good website that lists the springs. Thanks.
    Don't hesitate to dive Morrison. It can be as easy as you want it to be. I've found the vis to be better than vortex, but I've only been a few times to each of them.
    Some of the other springs that I know of are Troy, Gennie, Paridise, and Devil's Den. However, these are all down between High Springs & Ocala. I don't know of others in the panhandle that are available to rec divers. I think there are some that are only open to cave certified divers.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    Check out the Florida Geological Survey's Spring Report DRAM, FGS, Florida Springs it lists all the big springs in Florida, gives their locations, conditions, etc so it may be a good guide.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Morrison is usually better viz than Vortex. Usually as long as it hasnt rained in the past few days the water is crystal clear.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I agree, viz at Morrison is better unless the river is at flood level. There's a site - can't recall offhand - that lists the river levels so you can check.
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Grouper
    Troy is kinda neat, I did my check outs there but it is like diving a funnel and can get very crowded. Lots of shops do check outs there so you usually have plenty of people draging there hands down the sides and bouncing off the bottom constantly.

In turn this causes terrible viz, and the spring never gets a chance to purge itself. It can and does in about 30 min but when it is crowded it just does not get the down time to do so.

Ginnie is cool, I'm headed there tommorow. Gonna hit the ballroom for the first time...very mixed emotions about that.

Devils den and Blue Grotto are about 15 minutes away from eachother and are very cool.

DUI just did a drysuit test dive at manatee springs. I've never been there but I've heard it is very nice.

I personaly love the springs. Not only are they beautiful but they allow a new diver like myself to get down time in and work on pinpoint bouyancy control in a fairly nonthreatening enviroment for the mind.
    Just Dive it

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    I love the springs in FL. I just wish I was closer to them. Yeas ago I went to troy when it was closed to the public. You had to get there by boat. It was so cool to be the only divers, and of course it was crystal clear. I went again last spring, and there were about 20 divers. It wasn't near as nice a dive. But it's a great beginners dive.

My favorite spring is orange in the peacock system (Just stay out of the cave). It's covered with duck weed, and it it's a sunny day, the beam of light that comes through where your bubbles break up the duck weed is an awsome sight. But it's an area only big enough for 3 or 4 divers at a time.

If you want an easy beginners spring, try alexander springs. The depth is only about 25', and there is enough flow to keep it clear even with many divers.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    Thanks for the tips! I'll be looking into everything suggested. We love Vortex and the quarries that we dive around the house. Florida is such a quick weekend trip for us that we are trying to find some places to dive this summer. Great husband and wife time away when our 17 year old doesn't go and when he does go nice time with him since he is geting older. Our 4 year old will probably join us when she is big enough!
    Sherry

Grouper
    Could check out Lake Diver - Florida it has a pretty decent list of the springs.
    *Insert Witty Comment Here*

TadPole Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ixrayu View Post

Try this
    Florida Cave, Cavern, and Sinkhole Diving

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information