Thread: Puget Sound Diving

TadPole

Puget Sound Diving

I will be sailing and living on my boat in Puget Sound this summer for a month - probably July. I am an experienced, advanced diver, but have never dove Puget Sound. Any suggestions on which dive charterer to use? Will I need a drysuit that time of year? Any other recommendations? Thanks very much, Ken McCracken

Grouper
    My husband dove Puget Sound when we were on vacation there. But he was shore diving at a place called Edmond's Underwater Park. I think it has recently been renamed. He was dry suit diving but it was October. There was one fellow in the group wearing a wet suit.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo View Post
    There was one fellow in the group wearing a wet suit.
    So. Was HE smiling after the dive? Or shivering?

Guppy
    5-7 mm farmer john should be fine in July. If you're diving in the south end try Bandito Charters. Rick is a great skipper and knows the area well.

TadPole
    I dive the Puget Sound..well...its the only place I've ever dove. I also dive wet-but to be honest, I think I'm the only person I know that does. I suggest a dry suit if you can..longer dive times becasue you won't get as cold as quickly. Some good places which are convienient are: Les Davis, Redondo, Alkai, Titlow, and if you can get down to Hood Canal-Sund Rock. I've only been on one charter, and it was amazing-Banditos. They made sure to fill my suit full of warm water and I swear that I started gearing up and then I was just standing there while the deckhand did all the work: fins, zippers, gloves...it was royal treatment!
    Last edited by missdesireeann; 02-10-2008 at 01:46.

TadPole
    Well, Ken, it really all boils down to your physical condition. . . I'm 58 and I've been in this 45 degree water with a 6mm farmer john and a Kirbey Morgan band mask.
    I was a US navy diver and dove the north sea in a 6mm suit and KMB 10. That was COLD and also in the lower 30s. Also did SE Asia, Africa and the Med using only coveralls - above 200' and hot water suit at 500'
    You didn't mention if you have your own equipment. . .
    I'm not going to be any help on charter ppl because I've never been one to 'join in' and primarily dive alone. When I had my boat I simply dove when and wherever I wanted, took photos and shot dinner.
    In addition to Navy I also did a commercial dive school for accreditation for my professional career. Also had NAUI PADI teaching certification. BUT when I finally came back to the states I'd been gone so long NO ONE had info on me and the shops up here wouldn't give me air. I now have my own compressor - 20 CFM @ 3000 psi. Not a typo, really. 20 CFM @3000 psi. 5 minutes to fill a tank with seriously filtered and dry air!

In July you'll be fine in a 7mm farmer john but will be a bit chilly by the end of the dive.

Bandito is a great charter op. Lots of shore-diving too. PM Cardiver or myself when it gets closer - Ron and I can both point you in the right direction.

TadPole
    just dove off whidbey island in a 7/5mm wet suit................not too bad. have dove in november ( thanksgiving day! ) in a 7mm farmer john................a little chilly when above water, between dives....................

Barracuda
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo View Post
    My husband dove Puget Sound when we were on vacation there. But he was shore diving at a place called Edmond's Underwater Park. I think it has recently been renamed. He was dry suit diving but it was October. There was one fellow in the group wearing a wet suit.
    Yes, It is now. BHUT, Bruce Higgens Underwater Trails, I believe. Dove it monday. Vis sucked about 8ft. Can be a long swim, but lots and lots to see.

Thread Information