Thread: A new age - a lot of pain

Guppy

A new age - a lot of pain

For most of my life, I grew up with two older brothers, and an oil worker father in a small town in Alberta, Canada (Other words, quite a few red necks and out of date ideas). I was taught that there were certain things boys do, and certain things girls do. For example, at the gym; men lift weights, grunt, sweat and yell things like "Push it!" or "Common, One More!" Girls, on the other hand, use the treadmill, the belt massager that makes all the different bits jiggle, and of course, aerobics.

Now that I am older, hopefully a tiny bit wiser, and a whole lot tubbier, I have decided it was time to get back to my 20's figure. It was only 10 years ago so I figured it shouldn't be too difficult. So I quit smoking cold turkey, after the 4th time and hit the gym...hard!

Oh, one thing more... I am currently residing in South Korea.

At the gym, I decided I needed more cardio to get a sweat going to burn the calories, so decided to join the Taebo class, figuring it was high-pace and when I looked it was mostly men with a male instructor. Not a bad little workout. The second time consisted of myself, my friend and 2 little old ladies. Still not a bad workout. The next day, while lifting weights the little old lady came and grabbed my friend and i to join the step class. Not being able to say no in Korean, we let ourselves be led to the class, thinking it was going to be all women and we'd look like fools. Well, we did look like fools, but to our surprise the class was once again mostly males, but this time with a small female instructor.

She kicked our a**!!!! The next day I was so sore I could barely move. Been doing it for a couple weeks now and while i still feel like a bit of an awkward mule, the results are great.

So for those that want to shed a bit of weight. Join a class! Don't worry what you look like for today is a new age!

Cheers!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    What a nice, inspirational message!

Keep up the good work and enjoy that new figure when it arrives.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Grouper
    I have done many group exercise classes at Goodlife (power pump, body combat, etc..) Those are great cardio classes but don't to supplement the classes with weight training(doesn't have to be heavy). In addition repetition isn't too good. You have to mix it up. I have seen many larger people can do the same movements easily but they are wondering why they can't see improvements in their figure. Got to mix it up, resting and different muscle groups etc...

In the classes I take now 10~20% are men rest are women.

I taught English in 96 in Korea and went to the local gym.. I didn't think there were massive Korean guys, they kept on adding to my bar.. Those guys were lifting 2 plates (225 lbs) easily while i struggled to do 5 reps. They were not young either. THey were pushy but it was all good.

Always keep fit..

Grouper
    dont try spinning it's a killer

Guppy
    ok...update..was introduced to explosive training the other day..pretty much it is old school moves like knee tuck jumping and plyo pushups and squat jumps and full body power pushups and burpees etc... sets of 6 types of excercises then reps of 12 sets of 4, 45sec rest in between...

All I can say is wow..almost died..will do again...great burn....ow!!

Grouper
    I run three days a week and hit the weights on alternating 3 days and figured I was in pretty good cardio shape, then I went to some kind of cardio death class with my wife...since then I've stopped making fun of those classes (I'm afraid she'll make me go again)

Guppy
    Just have to say that after a couple weeks of doing burpees, that they still suck and I still hate them, and that they make me feel like an old, fat man Even just thinking about them hurts!
    (Burppes are when you crouh down then go into a push up position then pull the knees in and jump and repeat)

Grouper Founding Member
    You only have so many heartbeats, don't waste them on exercise!
    dannybot

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by LCFrigon View Post
    Well, we did look like fools, but to our surprise the class was once again mostly males, but this time with a small female instructor.
    She kicked our a**!!!! The next day I was so sore I could barely move.
    The little trainers can really wipe you out in the gym! good job keeping up!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Another good exercise is start dive steel doubles. Good workout getting to the divesite and it's fun...
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Thread Information