Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Great Barrier Reef

TadPole
    Hi there. I amlucky enough live and work in Cairns as a dive instructor and have experience with most of the trips there. Also I run a small web booking site that offers discount on the trips there for divers from these forums. There are occasionally stanby rates but these are not generally advertised. agents are informed though.

Undersea Explorer is no longer running unfortunately.

I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns.

If you can go a little bit more upmarket and have the time - Spirit of Freedom, Taka and Mike Ball are the best 3 that run to the Ribbon Reefs (best of the Barrier Reef and includes the Cod Hole) and Coral Sea.

Info on these trips can be found here and please feel free to contact me if anyone needs any unbiased advice.

Kevin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

http://www.aquaprodive.com/Cairns_diving_trips.html

Grouper
    "Undersea Explorer is no longer running unfortunately.
    I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns."

Helpful, thanks.~ Ocean Quest does the 3 day max trips....what would be a good/fairly convenient way to get some diving in for another 3-4 days?
    "Are there any brave men left in Washington or are they all cowards?"

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm777 View Post
    "Undersea Explorer is no longer running unfortunately.
    I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns."

Helpful, thanks.~ Ocean Quest does the 3 day max trips....what would be a good/fairly convenient way to get some diving in for another 3-4 days?
    I would recommend Heron Island....try to do at least 4 nites....Great island and good diving.

TadPole
    You can do as many days as you want on Ocean Quest.It stays on teh Reef and moves around. Diver are taken to it by daily transfer vessel. I would recommed Cod Hole trip if possible rather than extended trip on Ocean Quest.

Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Last edited by aquapro; 09-10-2009 at 03:30. Reason: additional info

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by caroswin View Post
    You honestly can't go past Spirit of Freedom for the liveaboards in the GBR.

If you do go on the dayboats either go on the Tusa boats as they limit to 30 people and get out there quite quickly, or head up the coast about an hour to Port Douglas. There you'll find Poseidon and Haba dayboats which both do excellent trips. Port Douglas is closer to the GBR than Cairns so there's more time on the reef and less time travelling. You seem to get a lot more bang for your buck on the Port Douglas dayboats than Cairns.
    Sadly, the Haba Dive dayboat sank at its mooring yesterday. $4m dive boat sinks at Port Douglas- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au
    PADI MSDT; TDI Trimix

Megalodon
    Images
    That is indeed bad news! Hopefully they can get it raised and repaired soon and continue on. Also, hope they can find why it sank and if the cause was criminal in nature that they find who did it and punish to the fullest of the law.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by aquapro View Post
    Hi there. I amlucky enough live and work in Cairns as a dive instructor and have experience with most of the trips there. Also I run a small web booking site that offers discount on the trips there for divers from these forums. There are occasionally stanby rates but these are not generally advertised. agents are informed though.

Undersea Explorer is no longer running unfortunately.

I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns.

If you can go a little bit more upmarket and have the time - Spirit of Freedom, Taka and Mike Ball are the best 3 that run to the Ribbon Reefs (best of the Barrier Reef and includes the Cod Hole) and Coral Sea.

Info on these trips can be found here and please feel free to contact me if anyone needs any unbiased advice.

Kevin

Great tips, thanks!!

TadPole
    I'd like to give ProDive Cairns a mention here. Personally, the website got on my nerves a little while sorting out bookings and such, but I'm glad I persevered and took my then girlfriend on a 3 day 2 night liveaboard back in may this year, which spent most of the time on the Flynn reef. It was mostly open water students (that is where I got my license) but there were about 10 or so divers with varying experience levels past the open water. They also offered AOW courses at a $170 to the OW students since they were already out there.

Staff were exceptionally friendly, and all of them were relaxed but professional. The food was excellent (better than home cooking at least!) and rooms were air conditioned well.

The dive sites varied, I'm told I missed out on the best one, as I felt I needed a break. But the ones I did see were beautiful and never required going too deep to get the most out of it (which for a new diver like me, was welcome). The instructors fed the reef sharks scraps from dinner while most of us were watching under the boat during the night dives. I spent the majority of the trip sea-sick, which wasn't expected or pleasant, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat as the staff alone made the trip feel very warm and the late night chats with all the other tourists in the main cabin were great fun!

While most of you won't need the cert, the 2 days spent training in their local training facility were also very nice. I have absolutely no regrets getting certified with them - except maybe the kneeling down on the training pool floor. Bring kneepads!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information