Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Family Scorpinadae - Scorpion/Lionfish, etc

  1. #1
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    504
    Images
    23

    Family Scorpinadae - Scorpion/Lionfish, etc

    OK - let's have your best shots of these "stingy" creatures that are so photogenic

    My favorite Lionfish - looks like he's getting ready to land

    Rhinopius Scorpionfish



    Lionfish

    Devil Eye

    Ambon Scorpionfish


    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

  2. #2
    Guppy
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    132
    Images
    7
    I'll play:

    Lionfish



    Pink Scorpionfish:




    Leaf Scorpionfish:



    Tassled Scorpionfish:



    My "Bomber":



    Dave
    Nikon D7000, Nauticam, (2) Inon Z240


  3. #3
    TadPole
    Join Date
    01/16/2008
    Location
    Southeast Florida
    Posts
    16
    Those are beautiful!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm interested in underwater photography but not quite ready. I'm saving up for the housing for my camera. Thanks for the motivation!!!!!

  4. #4
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    504
    Images
    23
    Hey Dave - great to see some of your stuff over here (really nice BTW) - we need to get more people posting pictures here. Did you buy a D300 you scumbag - that is one sweet camera - you going to get a Subal again?

    I'm heading to Indo in April, and really want to upgrade my camera setup, but to tight to pull the trigger. If I didn't have all this Canon Glass already, would really consider going to the D300. The 40D looks like a pretty significant upgrade over my 20D - sure wish the manufacturers would standardize body sizes so we didn't have to buy new housings to upgrade cameras
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

  5. #5
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    08/28/2007
    Location
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    106
    Hi all,

    I will show some of the examples I quickly found. I am in the process of going through alot of work and posting some on flickr.

    Anyway:






    This shot was on a night dive at the site of the SS President Coolidge, Vanuatu. Its amazing to see how fast they are when they are hunting. I saw even one guy lift one up with his hand ( I strongly do not recommend it) thats how comfortable they were with divers.



    Local name is Red Harry or Poor man's Lobster. Poor man's lobster comes from people adding red scorpion fish to lobster mornay as the flesh is very similar to lobster and it takes on the favour of lobster also.


    Will try and add more when I get to it.

    Aussie

  6. #6
    Guppy
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    132
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bversteegh View Post
    Hey Dave - great to see some of your stuff over here (really nice BTW) - we need to get more people posting pictures here. Did you buy a D300 you scumbag - that is one sweet camera - you going to get a Subal again?

    I'm heading to Indo in April, and really want to upgrade my camera setup, but to tight to pull the trigger. If I didn't have all this Canon Glass already, would really consider going to the D300. The 40D looks like a pretty significant upgrade over my 20D - sure wish the manufacturers would standardize body sizes so we didn't have to buy new housings to upgrade cameras
    Hi Bruce,
    I hope all is well with you. I did get a D300.....and it is great topside. I am sure it will be awesome u/w too. I am not sure if I will go Subal or not. I am going to take a hard look at the Seatool housing for it. The Seatool will fire my Inon's via fiber optic. It will be nice to get rid of sync cords which are a weak link IMHO. The Seatool is also smaller than the Subal....which should fit in my carry-on. Seatool now has an adaptor so I can use my Subal ports with it. Will see what shakes out when they both are released.

    Where to in Indo? Is it a Dr. B trip? Your Raja Ampat shots are awesome....it is now high on my list. I am looking for a '08 trip but have nothing booked yet. I have been looking hard at Sipadan but seems a little pricey.

    Good seeing you here.

    Dave
    Nikon D7000, Nauticam, (2) Inon Z240


  7. #7
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    504
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    I hope all is well with you. I did get a D300.....and it is great topside. I am sure it will be awesome u/w too. I am not sure if I will go Subal or not. I am going to take a hard look at the Seatool housing for it. The Seatool will fire my Inon's via fiber optic. It will be nice to get rid of sync cords which are a weak link IMHO. The Seatool is also smaller than the Subal....which should fit in my carry-on. Seatool now has an adaptor so I can use my Subal ports with it. Will see what shakes out when they both are released.

    Where to in Indo? Is it a Dr. B trip? Your Raja Ampat shots are awesome....it is now high on my list. I am looking for a '08 trip but have nothing booked yet. I have been looking hard at Sipadan but seems a little pricey.

    Good seeing you here.

    Dave
    Hey Dave - I was planning on going to the Phillipines with Dr. Bob and the crew from Digidiver.net in May, but had a conflict come up at work so couldn't get away and had to reschedule.

    So to make a long story short, I am going to Lembeh 14-18 April at the NAD Resort (budget resort, but AC and hot water, only 4 people per guide), and then back to Raja Ampat 19-27th on the Odyssea 1 again. Andrew is taking care of me pretty well as a 4 time customer, so can't complain. JTemple from Digidiver is also going, plus a couple pretty serious shooters from Austria. The rest of the group is a combo of Singaporeans, Aussies, and Yankees that I don't know - yet

    I think there is one spot left, PM if you're interested - as Andrew will give me a discount to fill the spot. I will warn you - full moon is that week, so the currents will be absolutely ripping (and there is a lot of current anytime in Raja - why the soft coral is so lush). I do think I have secured Jacki as our groups guide - he is one of best I have worked with (second only to OPO)- should be really good. If you want to build up a WA portfolio, RA is the best place I have ever been - the coral is unbelievably lush and healthy. The macro is good, but not as good as Lembeh (why I'm doing both)

    Those Seatools do look very tempting from a size standpoint, how do Ryan and guys at Reef Photo like them? What kind of battery impact does it have to shoot your internal flash all the time?
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

  8. #8
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/14/2007
    Location
    College Station, Tx
    Age
    50
    Posts
    531
    Awesome shots!
    dannybot

  9. #9
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/26/2007
    Location
    Valencia, Southern California
    Age
    33
    Posts
    264
    Oh my gosh you guys!! Great shots!! Thank you for sharing.
    *~Becky~*
    Environmental Compliance Specialist

  10. #10
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    504
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Hi all,




    Local name is Red Harry or Poor man's Lobster. Poor man's lobster comes from people adding red scorpion fish to lobster mornay as the flesh is very similar to lobster and it takes on the favour of lobster also.


    Will try and add more when I get to it.

    Aussie
    Love the color on Old Red above - keep-em coming.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Diving with Family
    By cyclone3565 in forum Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 10:40
  2. Vactions/diving/family....
    By terfmop in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 13:54
  3. Where to take a family with Children?
    By akmtman2 in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 11:32
  4. Hello Family
    By vtswezey in forum Welcome to our Scuba Forum! Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 10:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •