Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: European Dive Locations

  1. #11
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/06/2007
    Location
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere...in Saitama
    Posts
    619
    Images
    15
    I've heard Cyprus is up and coming. I borrowed the Mediterranean Europe guidebook and copied the Cyprus section. I might check it out, actually. Go someplace 'new'.
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
    http://namabiru.********.com

  2. #12
    Shark
    Join Date
    09/29/2007
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,995
    I found a web site for diving in Germany. apparently they have a large dive club. only problem is ...I don't speak german and I have no idea where they dive. So.... if you are fluent in german you can dive in germany
    God is good, no matter what!!

  3. #13
    TadPole
    Join Date
    01/18/2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12

    Smile Diving in Europe

    There is some great diving here in Ireland. Not for the faint hearted though, but can be very rewarding. The warmest the water gets is 14C (57F) hence we nearly all dive drysuits year round, although you can get away with a decent wetsuit or semi-dry (as I found out last year when I bust the zipper on my drysuit!). There are loads of great wreck dives, from U-boats to container ships and everything in between. Some great wildlife dives too.
    The Atlantic west coast is really worth diving, I get over there every chance I get.
    If anybody wants any info let me know, I'd be glad to help.

    I have also dived in Gozo, Malta which is nice too. Much warmer 18C to 24C (64 -75 F), nice viz and topography although not as much fish life as you would expect, methinks the Maltese enjoy their seafood a little too much. :-(

    The Canary Islands is also pretty good. I've been there a couple of times. Being just off the coast of Africa it is also pretty warm, similar temps to Malta. It's a good place for us Northern Europeans to go in winter, in fact I'm going there in a couple of weeks - can't wait!

    There are lots more great places to dive aroung Europe, thse are just the places I have been.

  4. #14
    TadPole
    Join Date
    02/14/2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1
    There are some nice locations in the Netherlans, Heaps near the city Rotterdam. Jast make sure you bring a wet- or drysuit with you. Temp vary from 4dgr C up to 20 dgr C. There is an underwaterplayground in Oostvoorne, just 30 min. drive from Rotterdam, and in the province Zeeland (1 hr. drive) there is heaps to see in the Grevelingen Meer and in the Oosterschelde.

    Note, you don't have to speak Dutch, 95% of the dutch speak English!

    Joep.

  5. #15
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    I've heard good things about the the cold water diving in Ireland and parts of England. I'd hate to have to travel with a cold water setup, though... that's a lot of weight to fly with!

    I've heard good things about the Grrek Isles as well, but haven't done much investigation yet.

    Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. Tips?

  6. #16
    Guppy
    Join Date
    04/19/2008
    Location
    Currently Germany
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajane View Post
    I found a web site for diving in Germany. apparently they have a large dive club. only problem is ...I don't speak german and I have no idea where they dive. So.... if you are fluent in german you can dive in germany
    Just for the record Germans speak English it is mandatory 2 years in school.
    But if you don't try to speak German they won't try to speak English.
    I hate it when people say things like that about us Europeans.

    There are a lot of Dive places in Europe:
    Croatia
    ProDiving Croatia - Tourist Diving Association. How to dive in Croatia?
    Malta
    Diving in Malta and Gozo, Scuba diving in Malta, Dive Malta, Dive in Malta,
    Spain
    DIVING-SCUBA MALLORCA/MAJORCA-Port Pollensa/Alcudia, Spain
    Portugal
    Portugal > Sports > Scuba Diving
    Turkey
    New Page 4
    Greece
    Scuba Diving in Greece

    Italy, France

    Cyprus is up and coming
    Cyprus
    Currently for US Military or Army any way is Off limits.

    We also have
    TauchRevierGasometer - Eurpoas größtes Indoor Tauch- und Ausbildungszentrum

    It is an old Industrial Park they gutted and made into a nature park.
    They cleaned out one of the Blast furnaces, got EPA approval and turned it into a dive tank.
    Pictures as they were doing it
    Der Anfang

    Rough translation from part of the information site

    The slogan "Tauch an into the other lower water world" is meant literal. To immerse in such an environment, would be allowed to be well unique.

    The works began already middle of the year 1996 at the Gasometer, like the letting out of ca. 11,800 ms³ rain water, the cleaning of the 1,500 ms² ground and 1,800 ms² wall area, the installation of a 11 meter of shipwreck long and a small vehicle. Further a tunnel with rocks and ruins was modeled up on basis of canal tube concrete tubes large in the diameter 2.5 meter.

    In August 1997 was raised anchored the 260 tons of heavy bell covers and 3.5 meters over the future water level.

    In the spring 1998, 300 tons of gravel was brought in and were distributed among the ground.

    In September and November 1998 flowed 21,000 ms³ water in the Gasometer and let emerge therewith the largest, artificial immerse waters in Europe.

    Under water expect the immerse athlete in 13 meters immerse depth, 45 meters of diameter and up to 40 meter visibility expanse among other things a 11 meter of shipwreck, a small vehicle, an Autowrack, 2 diver bells with 2,800 liters apiece air contents, an artificial snatched up, a 11 meter of sign tree high as well as education platform in different depths.

    Further attractions, like for example a Flugzeugwrack culprit" consider the Gasometer also to be "repetition interesting.

    Compdude said :
    Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. Tips?

    Dive trips are easy enough.
    As for what your wife wants to see
    WOW where to start
    Italy is cool I recommend Rome Venice and Pisa.
    Pisa is kind of boring though it is a teeny tiny town and you see the leaning tower and and it is like Ummm yeah it leans a little.
    Venice is kick butt. I love Venice just do me one favor TAKE HER ON A GONDOLA RIDE don't be a cheap ass.
    I love Paris too. To me easiest city in Europe to get around in.
    Another favor TAKE HER TO THE TOP of the Eiffel Tower AND KISS HER! Don't be a cheap ass.

    Diving place the only place we go diving right now is Lloret de Mar Spain. Know a great crew there.
    We are planning Croatia or Mallorca in September. If ya want to go can give ya the info. Or if you want other info just PM me.

    I am sure I can add more to this in the next year before I leave here. If they let me leave here.
    "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

  7. #17
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodiver View Post
    Compdude said :Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. Tips?

    Dive trips are easy enough.
    As for what your wife wants to see
    WOW where to start
    Italy is cool I recommend Rome Venice and Pisa.
    Pisa is kind of boring though it is a teeny tiny town and you see the leaning tower and and it is like Ummm yeah it leans a little.
    Venice is kick butt. I love Venice just do me one favor TAKE HER ON A GONDOLA RIDE don't be a cheap ass.
    I love Paris too. To me easiest city in Europe to get around in.
    Another favor TAKE HER TO THE TOP of the Eiffel Tower AND KISS HER! Don't be a cheap ass.

    Diving place the only place we go diving right now is Lloret de Mar Spain. Know a great crew there.
    We are planning Croatia or Mallorca in September. If ya want to go can give ya the info. Or if you want other info just PM me.

    I am sure I can add more to this in the next year before I leave here. If they let me leave here.
    LOL I'm not a cheap ass. And finding stuff topside for her to do in Europe is no issue whatsoever.

    Finding diving that is geographically and logistically close to those same topside cultural destinations, however... (is there diving in Venice that doesn't involve nasty canals, for instance?)

  8. #18
    Shark
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    Temecula CA
    Posts
    2,356
    CompuDude...Have you checked out Malta?...I have heard it is the best in Europe.

  9. #19
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    CompuDude...Have you checked out Malta?...I have heard it is the best in Europe.
    Good to know, but I think my wife will want to hit the more familiar European destinations before checking out the smaller locales.

    Going to be a year or so before she finishes school and gets back to work so we can afford another big trip, though, so no hurry.

  10. #20
    Shark
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    Temecula CA
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    CompuDude...Have you checked out Malta?...I have heard it is the best in Europe.
    Good to know, but I think my wife will want to hit the more familiar European destinations before checking out the smaller locales.

    Going to be a year or so before she finishes school and gets back to work so we can afford another big trip, though, so no hurry.
    Last year I had the itch to go back to somewhere like Santorini, Paris or to Tuscany.....and wanted to look at maybe a side trip to dive....Malta was the best reviewed with warm waters in summer, great vis and history....but like everything else in the Mediterranean not a lot of marine life...I think you will see more in the restaurants!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dive Locations
    By Ajuva in forum Welcome to our Scuba Forum! Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 10:53
  2. Arizona Locations?
    By Cichlid in forum Southwest
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 07:29
  3. Locations for "Mark all posts read"
    By awap in forum Bugs and Problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 13:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •