Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST Product Review Forum

Guppy

ST Product Review Forum

Would it seem feasible and logical to have a Product Review Forum for all the wonderful products ST has to offer?

What I was thinking is have a Product Review link that would open up to another page set up similar to the gear section (i.e. Accessories, Fins/Mask/Snorkel, Computers/Gauges, Etc.). Then when someone uses something ST offers, they could begin a thread about their experience with the product.

To keep it uncluttered, all posts within the thread must be other users' reviews of the same product, not comments or inquiries. If someone needs to ask someone something about their review, they can PM them. Another thing to keep it easily navigable, would be to simply title the thread whatever the product is (i.e. Apollo Bio Fin Pro w/ C-Strap).

Maybe start the thread with a thumbs up or thumbs down smiley, Then list Pros and Cons, then have the detailed review....or something along those lines.

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I would be willing to post my experiences with ST products-seems like a good idea to me.
    Never Underestimate....

OW, AOW, NITROX

Grouper
    I would definitely post on the product review threads-If there were actual user reviews available people might get a better idea of what the pros and cons of gear actually were. Sounds good to me.
    To Dive or Not To Dive...silly question

Grouper
    Or maybe a feature integrated in the online store section that lets you review the products there...

Grouper
    Images
    Great idea, drifter! i'm for it!
    i will play for gumbo.

Guppy
    I've seen people post their reviews within the Gear Section, but they sometimes get lost with all the other discussions about gear, so I thought, "Hey, why not a dedicated review section."

Gombessa: I do like the idea about having a review feature integrated into the store's site, but I don't know what would be involved in doing that. Does anyone know if that is a very complex procedure?

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    You realise that ST sells this gear. I doubt they want possible negative reviews of specific gear tied to their regular web page.

However, I do like the idea of having a review section of major pieces of gear, and not just tied to what ST sells. So if you were looking at a particular computer, just go to that forum & read about what other users thoughts are. I don't think it should be exclusive only to reviews. If a person has a question that hasn't been addressed in the reviews, then they should be able to ask. That's the purpose of a forum.

The reason I mention only "Major" pieces of gear is because it can get just too cluttered if there were comparisons on every piece of gear. I mean do we really need to compare different retractors?
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    I can see your points about ST possibly not wanting negative reviews of products they sell, but at the same time I have a pretty good feeling that the folks at ST understand that not everyone is going to love everything they have to sell.

The reason why I mentioned to keep the posts limited to only reviews is to keep it from becoming cluttered. If someone has a question about something they want responses from multiple people, the Gear Section is still available for that. If it is a question they want an answer specifically from the reviewer then a PM to that person would seem logical to me. I could be wrong, though. I know that there have been a couple times that I have asked a question to a particular person that went unanswered because it got buried in more posts, whereas, if I would have PM'd the person I might have gotten an answer.

I think that people would be keeping it to major pieces of gear anyway, as I doubt too many people would take the time to write up a full review of inexpensive gear.

All of your points are very valid and I really appreciate your reply. Having people mention both sides of having or not having a Review Section will probably help Larry and Joe decide if they want to take the time to create such a forum section.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BSea View Post
    You realise that ST sells this gear. I doubt they want possible negative reviews of specific gear tied to their regular web page.
    While there is a potential conflict of interest, you realize that most e-tailers are over the "positive-only" mindset? Other online dive shops, like leisurepro, and big mainstream shops like Amazon and Newegg all include user ratings and reviews directly in the product pages - it helps consumers decide what to buy and helps retailers decide what to carry or stock. In fact, user reviews tied to the retail pages are pretty much standard for full-service retailers now. I think it would be a valuable service for ST customers, and would help ST as well.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombessa View Post
    While there is a potential conflict of interest, you realize that most e-tailers are over the "positive-only" mindset? Other online dive shops, like leisurepro, and big mainstream shops like Amazon and Newegg all include user ratings and reviews directly in the product pages - it helps consumers decide what to buy and helps retailers decide what to carry or stock. In fact, user reviews tied to the retail pages are pretty much standard for full-service retailers now. I think it would be a valuable service for ST customers, and would help ST as well.
    Point taken. In fact when I buy from New Egg, the reviews are what I go by. So I retract my earlier stance....with the exception (you knew there would be one didn't you ) that in a forum mode people get to ask specific questions that may not have been already answered. So maybe there could be a way for reviews in the store web site to also be posted here for discussion & review.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information