Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to purchase your own tanks?

Guppy

Is it worth it to purchase your own tanks?

I live in the Chicago area and plan on doing several dives this summer. I've looked into buying my own tanks but it looks as though it is more cost effective to rent them. approx. how much do you tank owners spend on your tanks and what is a cost for the yearly inspection? I can rent for ~$10 a day with $5-10 fills depending on where I'm diving. I've only been diving with air and don't plan on diving mixes this summer.

So, Is it really cost effective to own your own tanks?

Grouper
    The time it takes for a tank to pay for itself depends on how often you are going to dive; the more you dive the fewer dives it will take to pay for itself. The biggest advantage of owning a tank is that it is very convenient to have a couple of full tanks in the garage that you can though in the back of the truck and go diving whenever you feel like it.

Grouper
    Owning tanks is about convenience and/or having access to tanks that you can't rent easily (steel, bigger or smaller sizes). Renting will likely be cheaper, but not having to take rentals back to the shop is priceless.

Grouper
    I imagine it's also useful to have tanks around for the air pressure when you want to play with/service your own gear.

I think its worth it. I mean I hate to spend ten bucks a day on something that only cost 140 bucks. Dive 16 times a year and it pays for its self.

Grouper
    Don't forget, you have to factor in the cost of fills too. In some places, a fill costs almost as much as a day of rental, and the rentals come pre-filled.

Grouper
    I own 4 HP Steel 130s, 8 AL80s, and a few pony bottles. If I could do it again, I would buy the steels, 2 alums, and the ponies. I think it is definitely worth it to have tanks around, but if you ever dive a steel tank you will probably never want to go back to diving aluminum. Buy you a couple of AL80s and then save up some $$ for some steels. FYI, I need so many tanks because I dive often and I dive many times when I do go to the water...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
    I think its worth it. I mean I hate to spend ten bucks a day on something that only cost 140 bucks. Dive 16 times a year and it pays for its self.
    that's how i see it as well. once a get my rig set up i'll likely buy a tank.

Barracuda Founding Member
    If a tank apx. 80cu ft is ok for you then it doesn't make sense to own your own tank from a PURELY ECONIMIC sense. The rest of the discussion is up to you.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Originally we didn't plan to buy tanks. But as time went on we were doing alot of local lake diving and the closest dive shop to us is 2 1/2 hours away. If we want to dive whenever we want, we have to have our own tanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information