Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little white specks

little white specks

i got my camera a few days ago, and sometimes when i take pics, i get these little white specks all over the pic. they aren't real noticeable, but still they are there. I notice that it sometimes does it when i use the strobe. The camera is mostly auto, but you can adjust the WB,and ISO on one setting. So any ideas to figure out how to keep it from doing that would be helpful.

and can someone kind of explain to me how the ISO works. the camera has settings for 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 800, and 1600.

I'm new to all this lingo, and even newer and knowing how it works.

I tried posting a pic with the little specks, but it kept locking my computer up, so i finally gave up.
    The only things in life you regret, are the Chances you don't take..----Jack Lemmon

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Most likley you are talking about backscatter. This is caused from the cameras built-in flash hitting particles in the water between the subject and the camera.
    This can be corrected with adding an external strobe or strobes and blocking or turning off the cameras built-in flash.
    DevilDiver

Barracuda
    Images
    I would agree with DevilDiver on the spots, but need to see an image.

The most likely issue with the down load is that you are trying to down load a really large image file... you should resize to say 800 x 600 (a copy, not the original) and then try.

ISO - is the same thing as "film speed". The higher the number, the less light is needed to take a picture.

But higher also means a noisier picture.

If you could, you would shoot everything in the lowest number possible - usually 100 or less. But, if you don't have enought light (from the sun and/or strobe), you either don't take the picture or raise the ISO value.

Like shutter speed, the number is in powers of 2 - so:

1/30 second at F 3.5 using ISO 100, if you change to ISO 200, it would now be 1/60 second at F 3.5.

Going above 200, and you will start seeing a major drop in image quality.

Here are the steps for ISO, lens openning and shutter speed, with each one roughly equal to each other:

ISO F Stop shutter Speed

100 8 1/1000
    200 5.6 1/500
    400 4.5 1/250
    800 3.5 1/125
    1000 2.8 1/60

Less than 1/60, and most people will blur the image due to motion. More than 200 ISO and you get fairly grainy images, and as the F stop gets smaller, less and less is in focus...

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Puffer Fish; 01-29-2008 at 05:44.

Guppy
    Images
    since he got the camera a few days ago.....and lives in OK......they may not be underwater photos. In that case, it is most likely dust on the sensor.

Are they U/W photos?

Dave
    Nikon D7000, Nauticam, (2) Inon Z240

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    since he got the camera a few days ago.....and lives in OK......they may not be underwater photos. In that case, it is most likely dust on the sensor.

Are they U/W photos?

Dave
    You may be correct, have no way to know. Don't know the camera being used (which might rule out dust or rule it in).

Dust on the lens also looks like back scatter, and is common to only see when using a strobe... again, don't know.

Sadly, being new, he does not know how to do all the stuff one would need to assist him... but getting thru the download process is a major step in the right direction.

Grouper
    If they are UW pics, I would say it is backscatter from the camera's internal flash... we need more info to know for sure.

no they were in the house of the dogs, i'll try to post it again here in a little while. they almost look like lost pixels or something. They are really tiny, my wife didn't even notice them,but it was buggin me.
    The only things in life you regret, are the Chances you don't take..----Jack Lemmon

Grouper
    Images
    Was it kind of dark in the doghouse, and you took some pictures with no flash?

I'll bet you have auto-iso on your camera - and as Puffer explained above, lots of compact cameras get noisy at high iso. For most digicams, I wouldn't use ISO above 400 max; and try to shoot ISO 100 whenever possible.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd525 View Post
    no they were in the house of the dogs, i'll try to post it again here in a little while. they almost look like lost pixels or something. They are really tiny, my wife didn't even notice them,but it was buggin me.
    Then we really, really need to see the image.

try again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information