Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mares Raptor (Split fin)

Grouper
    Unhappy with Mares Raptors
    I do not really know if I like my new Mares Raptors. I do not like the foot box because it is essentially hard plastic. I do not think that I like the angle when standing or surface kicking. They definitely work well under water and feel great there. I am thinking I should have forked out the money for the Atomic Smokes. And I am kind of regretting my purchase. I'm going to give them one more try tomorrow against my buddy surface swimming to see if it is just my perception, but I think the strange angle is causing them to stick up out of the water. I wonder if Mares has a performance guarantee for unhappy customers?

Happy with Mares Raptors

I've had some of these fins for a few months now. I really like them. I think they have a really good balance of power and comfort (rigidity and softness) for a split fin. I could see how the hard foot pocket wouldn't be so great if it didn't fit your boot, but mine fit really well. I think helps a lot to transfer power into the fins themselves that the foot pocket is so hard, otherwise it seems like you lose energy in stretching the fin back up to your foot.
    Last edited by turnpikemike; 08-06-2008 at 13:44. Reason: clarification

Grouper
    I am glad to hear that you like them. Perhaps they are just too alien to me with the hard plastic footbox and the weird angle. They work well underwater for me.

I am thinking about the Gara Professional for my next fin.

TadPole
    I have been using these fins for a while now. During my recent trip to Ft Lauderdale I gave these fins a good workout. When there is no current they are great. However in strong current they are almost useless. The buckle system is the worst on the market. I had a hard time taking my fins off on several dives. I will keep them because they are so good in slow moving water but I will change the buckles and probably move on to another fin style that is more effective in strong current some time in the future.

My Rating: B

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeTee View Post
    I have been using these fins for a while now. During my recent trip to Ft Lauderdale I gave these fins a good workout. When there is no current they are great. However in strong current they are almost useless. The buckle system is the worst on the market. I had a hard time taking my fins off on several dives. I will keep them because they are so good in slow moving water but I will change the buckles and probably move on to another fin style that is more effective in strong current some time in the future.

My Rating: B

Hey CeeTee... Welcome to the forum! I'd suggest checking out some different options for straps if you don't like the mares ones (and I'm with you on that one...) Maybe some spring straps Scuba Diving Fins Fin Accessories with reviews on sale

As far as the comments of using splits in a current - I believe a lot of that might be perception. If a fin is good in still water - it has to put the same propulsion out in moving water as well. Might be fun to try to swap with someone else while in a current and see if you don't change your mind on that one. Check out this little article I did a while back:
    Split Fins in a Current, Bio Fin, biofin, Bio Fins and Tusa Split Fins

Guppy
    Has anyone put the Mares spring straps on the raptors yet? Any issues? Noticeable performance increase?

Grouper
    I don't think you're going to get a performance increase on fins by using a spring strap.What you are going to get is more ease putting them on and comfort.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by openhelix View Post
    Has anyone put the Mares spring straps on the raptors yet? Any issues? Noticeable performance increase?
    CODMAN
    ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information