Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing for my first dive trip. Pls Help

Grouper
    stack of $1 bills, passport, photocopy of passport hidden somewhere else (in case your original gets stolen). Phone numbers, addresses, and printouts for any reservations you have.

The $1 bills are for hotel tips, taxi fares, and a bunch of other places where all you might have is a $20 and no one seems to have any change.......

One of these maps, if you have time to get it:
    Can-Do Maps and travel guides

Rich
    Last edited by fireflock; 02-03-2008 at 22:59. Reason: maps link

Grouper
    Earplugs - if you get stuck next to a lady with a crying baby you'll be really glad you brought them. Plus, the hi-frequency jet engine noise isn't good for your ears.

Duct tape, pack a roll that been used and only has about 2 yards left on it....smash the roll down flat and it'll take up less room.

Don't take your log book, you might lose it. Instead take some blank pages and put them in the log book when you get home.

Guppy Founding Member
    Images
    Great tips everyone, please keep them comming!

Barracuda Founding Member
    The only thing I can add is to stay hyrdated. Can be a challenge while flying, but is a big factor in DCS.

Grouper
    If you have an EMS store by you, they carry great dry bags that pack tiny and flat. They are useful on have on the boat to keep your tip money, hat, and other small stuff dry. Speaking of that, bring a baseball cap so you can actually see when you're out in the sun and so your face doesn't burn. I don't like to use sunblock before diving because it gets in my eyes, so the hat is a must. When you're out on the water, your lips tend to get dry (at least mine do), so bring some chapstick type stuff with spf in it. Jolly Ranchers will win you friends on the boat during the SI. I bring a small save a dive kit in a zip lock bag with o rings, a spare mask strap, a few zip ties, a couple of snorkel keeprs, and a double ender. Doesn't take up much room and seems to solve most things that come up.

Have fun, and post a trip report when you get back

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Divingguy View Post
    Safety whistle, mirror, safety sausage, and cutting implement like surgical shears. Mask defog gel. Don't know about Cancun, but in Coz generally NO knives, and NO gloves.
    Not my thread but since I'm headed there in April, why no knives in Coz?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MandieR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Divingguy View Post
    Safety whistle, mirror, safety sausage, and cutting implement like surgical shears. Mask defog gel. Don't know about Cancun, but in Coz generally NO knives, and NO gloves.
    Not my thread but since I'm headed there in April, why no knives in Coz?
    Stupid rule... designed to keep stupid divers from doing stupid things with their knives.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock View Post
    photocopy of passport hidden somewhere else (in case your original gets stolen). Phone numbers, addresses, and printouts for any reservations you have.
    If you have a Hotmail or other e-mail that can be accessed via a browser, e-mail your passport number, traveller's cheque numbers and any other important info to yourself. That way if you need it and are separated from your stuff, you just have to find an internet connection to retreive it.

Guppy Founding Member
    Images
    Cancun is a marine reserver, you will pay a fee for the reserver. They do not allow gloves or knives there. I am bringing shears just in case.

John, Great Idea! I was trying to think of a safe way to keep that information.

Grouper
    Thanks for that primo idea John! I always take 1 of those nylon shower ball thingies. Some places don't supply facecloths, and even if they do, the nylon dries so fast, with no tropical odor! Another thing, when packing, shove divelights, (no batteries installed) in your fin pockets, doesn't waste space, and keeps the crushing at bay. Also cushion (wrap) gear with articles of clothing. Have a great time

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information