Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Canister Light

Grouper
    My wife would look at this as something to keep me out of her hair for about a month! hahaha!

(is it me, or does this thing look like a pipe-bomb?)
    Last edited by Buoyant1; 02-12-2008 at 07:26.
    We are only immortal...for a limited time!

TadPole
    Hello,

I made a canister light, the price was around $250, the light is great, beats a flashlight any day. Here is a great site were I got lots of ideas.

Dive light

I also have some pictures posted of my light, just look for ChillyWilly's light.
    I built a 35W halogen canister light with a 14.4V 5000mAh Battery. I get about 75 minutes at full(High). The light has a special dimmer that gives me 3 light output selections (LOW, MED, HIGH)
    The bulb I used is a High MR16 Solux Bulb 5700K light temp.

The canister was made of PVC with a clear top. I made all the orings and the light head is a Modified "C" Size MAG Light.

i have tested the light to 120FT, no leaks

Anyway let me know if I can help.

Later
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ChillyWilly

Grouper
    Chilly-looks like a great job. I was planning on building a similar project but i stumbled across a very nice cave light for 100 bucks on the internet and bought it so I went with that.

TadPole
    Thanks!!

It was actually a really cool project to do. My first project was a Video Camera Housing, but it didn't perform that well. But for all the mistakes I made on that one, I made the light canister.

Its my pride and joy !!

Anyway if anybody needs any tips, It would be my pleasure to help out.

Best regards,
    ChillyWilly

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Looks like some nice work.

How does 35w halogen compare to an HID? (light is more yellow, I know, but other than that)

Is 75min burn time enough? OR do you have multiple batteries to get you through a day of diving?

TadPole
    Thanks,

The light color is pretty white when using the High Color Temp Halogen 4700K(correction from my last post). Normal Halogen is around 3500K and HID is aroung 6000K. Now I am overdriving the bulb to 14.4 which will give you more intensity also at the cost of bulb life. Normal bulb life Is like 4000Hours, but when you over drive it, it is reduce to around 1000Hours. I have a Solux MR16 4700K 10 bulb.

http://www.solux.net/ies_files/SoLux...5W%20Specs.pdf

Now due to the battery size it is true that i only get 75min, but this is only at max output. If I used Med or low I will get much more. I have only done test at max in the tub, but never really done a test in MED or LOW. I will usually alternate during the dive, using low or medium when max output is not need. put it this way, low output is similar to using my flashlight.

Now HID of course wil give you longer burntine due to the lower wattage. You either have to increase the battery capacity or use a lower wattage bulb.

I do find that the burn time I get is sufficient, by alternating I can do a 2 hour beach dive easily. Of a boat I can easily do two 45 minute night dives.
    Now the other thing to consider is price, If I went with HID, it would cost me another $100-$150 for the bulb and ballast.
    A replacement Solux bulb is $8 compared to $80+ for HID.

I would also not be able to dimm the light if I was using a HID bulb. Each time you strike an HID bulb it produces wear.

I might in the future try HID, but for now this is more than sufficient. I do have an electronic controler used to dim the light and it also monitors battery voltage and it will automaticaly switch to low when the battery voltage has droped below a certain threshhold.

Battery wise, I only have one battery pack, haven't had a need to get anotherone. Now if I was diving in a cave, then I would consider another battery pack, either spare or with a higher capacity.

Hope this helps.
    ChillyWilly

Guppy
    Very nice job done on your light. Where did you mount your switch?

TadPole
    Hello,

I used a Piezo switch, mounted on the Light head. It is a pressure sensitive switch that activate when I Press it. No moving parts and completely sealed. Look at the pictures below. Its a great switch, it will only work with a controller, meaning it won't activate like a regular switch.

Later...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ChillyWilly

Grouper
    Willy,
    That looks professional to me! Great job!
    Thanks,
    Capt. Freddie

Guppy
    Where did you get the pizeo switch and controller from?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information