Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DIY Canister Light

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by divepapi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    my high power SSCP7 X 3 light. It gets driven with 9 D NiMH batteries in direct drive mode.

Each P7 takes approximately 3.7 volts to run at 3 amps. So, a 9D pack in seris provides just a bit above that, about 11.5volts or 3.8 each, when fully charged. I have run a single P7 with 4.5 volts direct drive in a 3D Mag Lite with no problems whatsoever. Batteries for the Salvo should last about 4 hours. I have dove 4 dives in 1 day about 1 hour each and have not discharged it all of the way.

Nice thing about direct drive is that (as long as you match the voltage closely) the light will operate to very low voltages without turning off. With a driver, you need a minimum voltage. Also, the battery pack can be about 2-3 volts smaller.

I just ordered a new lathe so next project is to custom turn a canister and head... I'll start with a direct drive P7 with 6 x 18650 Li Ion batteries in series. Very decent light. I have built a single P7 before and it kept up with my buddiy's 21W LED and 10W HID.
    I have no doubt it's great, but wow, that's a bucket o'batteries...

Guppy
    my high power SSCP7 X 3 light. It gets driven with 9 D NiMH batteries in direct drive mode.

Each P7 takes approximately 3.7 volts to run at 3 amps. So, a 9D pack in seris provides just a bit above that, about 11.5volts or 3.8 each, when fully charged. I have run a single P7 with 4.5 volts direct drive in a 3D Mag Lite with no problems whatsoever. Batteries for the Salvo should last about 4 hours. I have dove 4 dives in 1 day about 1 hour each and have not discharged it all of the way.

Nice thing about direct drive is that (as long as you match the voltage closely) the light will operate to very low voltages without turning off. With a driver, you need a minimum voltage. Also, the battery pack can be about 2-3 volts smaller.

I just ordered a new lathe so next project is to custom turn a canister and head... I'll start with a direct drive P7 with 6 x 18650 Li Ion batteries in series. Very decent light. I have built a single P7 before and it kept up with my buddiy's 21W LED and 10W HID.
    I have no doubt it's great, but wow, that's a bucket o'batteries...

Indeed... That's why the next canisters will be done with 18650 Li Ion. Funny thing, though, is that I don't really notice a difference when diving it from my conpact 21W LED Salvo..

TadPole
    Thanks for posting pics, I'm getting ready to build my own canister light and this gives me some good ideas. Most of the threads I have found have plenty of details but are lacking in the visual representation of the builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Here are some more pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferradinho View Post
    Thanks for posting pics, I'm getting ready to build my own canister light and this gives me some good ideas. Most of the threads I have found have plenty of details but are lacking in the visual representation of the builds.
    I posted several years ago that it was too much trouble, well, LOL, I've built a couple of them now and do it for a hobby so to speak. It's relaxing.

Here's a picture of one that I built using the SST-90 LED with a one piece aluminum body that I machined and anodized myself.head.jpghead-1.jpg
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

The beam on the left is a 24 watt Dive Rite HID and on the right is the light I built. The dive rite isn't really IMAG0164287268955.jpg that colour but the cheap cell camera can't white balance both beams
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information