Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Canister Light

Guppy

DIY Canister Light

I found this pdf on google...Kudos to the man who provided this as I think it's one of the best canister light guides out there.

http://www.bnsengineering.com/Person...ive_Lights.pdf

Also, this company has jsut about everything you will need to complete it...

McMaster-Carr

TadPole
    one of my dive buddy made this light. the light cost him 200$ to 250$.
    it s a good handyman , me i m not ..lloll i buy a used canister light .
    i pay for my 10 watts hid 300$ whit the shipping. it s a good deals for what i buy. this light my friend made is in the closet , because he found a good deal to on a dive rite canister. it s a good project .

jimmy

Barracuda
    Images
    Its cheap and stuff, but then again, I don't know, maybe I'm just lazy.
    Now a trimix diver!

Barracuda
    Images
    Hrmm,

I have a spare automobile HID lighting system. Wonder if I could find a way to rig it up to run off standard batteries. Since I already have the lights and ballasts the other parts wouldn't be too expensive. But unfortunately I don't know too much about electronics so I don't know if it would be possible to power the bulbs in a canister form.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    If you're very much mechanically inclined and have the interest in chasing down all the parts and spending lots of time DIYing it, and have access to all the tools needed to get it done right, you can save a little money going that route. If it's going to cost $250 to DIY a funky home-brewed 10w HID canister (let alone a halogen one that sucks down batteries!), and put a ton of time and effort into doing so, I'd much rather spend $100 more to buy a used professionally made proper 10w HID canister light for $350 and not have to worry about anything or spend that much time on it. They come up for sale all the time as people upgrade to 21w class lights, so it's not like they're that tough to get.

Shark
    On the other hand, if you go through the trouble of making even a funky DIY HID light that works, you don't just get a light for your time and money, you get an education, an understanding of how your gear works, and the ability to confidantly service it yourself.
    Matt Silvia

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Because nobody else is going to...

I looked at the DIY stuff, and even though I work in that field repairing stuff and have access to the tools needed to build it, I decided it was too much effort for so little return.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Guppy
    Yeah...I made a DIY O2 analyser a while back...I was really happy with it 'cos it actually worked!! But, as my buddy's remind me - you got 10 grand worth of tech gear and a 100 buck analyser - wtf? I have no defence.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrdiver View Post
    Yeah...I made a DIY O2 analyser a while back...I was really happy with it 'cos it actually worked!! But, as my buddy's remind me - you got 10 grand worth of tech gear and a 100 buck analyser - wtf? I have no defence.
    Sounds like you got ripped on on the rest of your gear, assuming the Analyzer works properly

If it works for you, and doesn't hurt anyone else, go for it. I race with a guy who made his own g-force logging system out of a video camera, some springs and weights, a mirror, and an old violin case. It worked for him, and probably cost him a lot less that the fancy ones that other people were using.

Grouper
    If did that I would spend money and time and it would leak. I've discovered when I try to make stuff myself like that I end up spending more $$$ if I factor what my time is worth and the part I would buy. However I do enjoy building stuff, but its more along the line of a home made wooden speed bag hanger, fish tank stand, etc... Something where I only need wood, nails, and paint.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information