Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diver dies at submerged wreck site in Lake Mead

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I believe Lake Mead is a technical dive site, so I would assume he was in a technical rig, and I would assume he was diving trimix at 150'. This is pure speculation, of course. More details will come to light eventually.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    I believe Lake Mead is a technical dive site, so I would assume he was in a technical rig, and I would assume he was diving trimix at 150'. This is pure speculation, of course. More details will come to light eventually.
    Yeah I would also assume the same,but you know what they say about assuming................

I dont see why a problem with an "air supply" would be fatal with redundant gear,unless it was something such as contaminated or wrongly analysed tanks

I hope you are correct about the more details coming to light,but that is not always the way it works.

Condolences to his family and buddies. A bad day.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Just a clarification: Lake Mead has diving for all skill levels, but the PBY Catalina is located in over 150' of water, making it suitable for technical diving only. (I believe it was originally in 185' of water, but the lake's water level has been falling dramatically the past couple of years.)

http://www.missionscuba.com/lake-mead/lake-mead-pby.htm

Lake Mead National Recreation Area - The National Park Service Announces Location of Submerged PBY Catalina Aircraft for Technical Divers to Explore and Enjoy 10-07 (U.S. National Park Service)

The B-29 is another technical dive site at Lake Mead, but IIRC, it's getting close to the extreme end of recreational limits at this point due to the falling water levels!
    Last edited by CompuDude; 02-12-2008 at 13:07.

Grouper
    Images
    Sincere condolences to the diver, his family and buddies.
    i will play for gumbo.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Also, Lake Mead is considered an altitude dive at 1140' above sea level.
    Meh.... I live and dive at a little over 1000 feet. We could teach the altitude diver class here, but it is not that big of a deal at 1000 feet.

This dude's problem was at depth....
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Shark Founding Member
    R.I.P.

Sorry to hear of this news....these things happen sadly in our sport. Maybe in the future more detailed information will be available to the public.

PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    R.I.P.

Sorry to hear of this news....these things happen sadly in our sport. Maybe in the future more detailed information will be available to the public.

The "offical" report will take up to 6 months.
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

TadPole
    The gentlman was at Tech diver, but it was not mentioned what equipment he was using. Based on the fact that he was at 150ft and "working" I would say it was a better than average chance he was on tech gear. This guy had lots of year and lots of dives under his belt, he would know better than to do this dive on air and regular scuba. Whatever went wrong it just suck to lose on of our own.

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomCat View Post
    The gentlman was at Tech diver, but it was not mentioned what equipment he was using. Based on the fact that he was at 150ft and "working" I would say it was a better than average chance he was on tech gear. This guy had lots of year and lots of dives under his belt, he would know better than to do this dive on air and regular scuba. Whatever went wrong it just suck to lose on of our own.
    he was a tech diver using a tech righ with two steel tanks, I have heard he did dive on the same air supply 2x that day

I am sure whent he final report comes out we will have more answers and hopefully learn from this tragic event
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
    You can actually dive nitrox a little deeper at altitude than at sea level.
    That's not true. Diving nitrox requires you adjust your actual depths to a shallower level. In Lake Mead, a dive to 110', the MOD for 32%, is equivalent to the pressure you'd get at about 115', so you would have to adjust your actual depth down to 100'. It's unlikely this guy was diving nitrox at the depths of the site they were at. I read elsewhere that there was an "equipment" malfunction. Still no clarification on what exactly malfunctioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information