Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diver dies at submerged wreck site in Lake Mead

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
    You can actually dive nitrox a little deeper at altitude than at sea level.
    That's not true. Diving nitrox requires you adjust your actual depths to a shallower level. In Lake Mead, a dive to 110', the MOD for 32%, is equivalent to the pressure you'd get at about 115', so you would have to adjust your actual depth down to 100'. It's unlikely this guy was diving nitrox at the depths of the site they were at. I read elsewhere that there was an "equipment" malfunction. Still no clarification on what exactly malfunctioned.
    The LMPS will release the info long before the rest of the investigators. Soon we & his family will have the answers we are looking for.
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
    You can actually dive nitrox a little deeper at altitude than at sea level.
    That's not true. Diving nitrox requires you adjust your actual depths to a shallower level. In Lake Mead, a dive to 110', the MOD for 32%, is equivalent to the pressure you'd get at about 115', so you would have to adjust your actual depth down to 100'. It's unlikely this guy was diving nitrox at the depths of the site they were at. I read elsewhere that there was an "equipment" malfunction. Still no clarification on what exactly malfunctioned.
    Going to start another thread on the nitrox question so as not to sidetrack this one.

I would be very interested as to what "equipment malfunction" caused this. Well planned technical dives allow for 1 malfunction. Multiple failures would obviously be an issue but are incredibly unlikely to happen.

Grouper
    This is very sad. I feel for the loved ones he left behind.

Grouper

God rest him

Hi all,
    Mike was a great guy, and we will really miss him.
    The memorial was very nice, but painful for those of us who had been blessed with knowing him.

I wasn't diving with him that day, but I knew him, had dove with him before, and knew the people he was diving with. Safety was always a top priority.

He was appropriately trained, certified, and outfitted for this dive. It was not some reckless lark that ended in disaster. That's really all I can say, I guess.

....oh, and that it should be said that at least he perished doing what he so deeply loved, living his dream, rather than sitting on the couch dreaming. (this didn't seem much comfort to me, until I realized that the friend of mine who reminded me of it has been battling cancer for almost 2 years now, and says that he can only pray to be so lucky.)

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Hi all,
    The memorial was very nice, but painful for those of us who had been blessed with knowing him.

I wasn't diving with him that day, but I knew him, had dove with him before, and knew the people he was diving with. Safety was always a top priority.

He was appropriately trained, certified, and outfitted for this dive. It was not some reckless lark that ended in disaster. That's really all I can say, I guess.

....oh, and that it should be said that at least he perished doing what he so deeply loved, living his dream, rather than sitting on the couch dreaming. (this didn't seem much comfort to me, until I realized that the friend of mine who reminded me of it has been battling cancer for almost 2 years now, and says that he can only pray to be so lucky.)
    Thank you so much for taking of your time to pass this information on.

I am sorry to you for your lose.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

TadPole
    the technical diver who died at lake mead was my man - please stop speculating - it was just a horrible accident - everybody did everything they could -

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Hi all,

thank you so much for your kind words about mike...mike was my man - diving was his passion and safety was alway on his mind - thank you for pointing that out to the dive community - i miss him so much...your kind words about him mean alot -

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhead1 View Post
    the technical diver who died at lake mead was my man - please stop speculating - it was just a horrible accident - everybody did everything they could -

that was not the intent of this post I am sorry that some are very curious, and we donít have (and may never) have the answer to everything that occurred that day. I am truly sorry for your loss, I had the opportunity to dive with mike on some cleanup dives at LM, he was always nice, and a good safe diver. He will be missed. I only wish I could have dove with him directly (as his buddy).

If any posts here get out of hand I will delete it. Same with our other forum. We will not tolerate anyone bashing \ making fun of this tragic accident.
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.

The only speculating I saw going on was people trying to learn from the accident, so it doesn't happen again. Is there any insight into what happened yet, so we can help prevent others from the same fate?

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss.

The only speculating I saw going on was people trying to learn from the accident, so it doesn't happen again. Is there any insight into what happened yet, so we can help prevent others from the same fate?
    i apologize if i got a little upset - i understand why everyone is questioning - i honestly do - it was just the first time i checked into the forums he used to deal with and it was just a little upsetting - if anyone would like to email me direct for more information i will discuss it further - [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information