Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who has Dove the Red Sea ?

Grouper Founding Member
    Cool -- thx for the feedback SouthernSeas
    Tom

TadPole
    Hey.. we must be in the forum at the same time! I just checked Emperor Divers website to check out some sample liveaboard itineraries from Hurghada.
    http://www.emperordivers.com/liveaboards_routes.php This will give you an idea of come of the combinations on offer from there... I think many of the other dive operations will have similar routes, but you should check out others, of course, to see what other routes people do.

As for Emperor Divers -- I used them down in Marsa Alam for a day boat and liked them (I did my Nitrox class with them too) I don't know how their liveaboards are, but they seemed to me to be one of the better Red Sea operators.

Hope this helps.

Grouper
    I was in the Red Sea 10 years ago as part my 4 month of traveling around countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

First, if you are traveling that far plan at least some time along the Nile. Start in Cairo for a few days and then take the train down to Aswan and then work your way back up to Luxor and back to Cairo. Travel light for this (i.e. leave dive gear at your hotel in Cairo.)

Diving out of Sharm is good fun. I did it on the cheap staying across the road at little place and then using one of the ops - Red Sea Divers as I remember. Reasonable enough for me. The big hotels are way too stuffy for my tastes.

For a little diversion go up to St. Catherine's Monastery which is run by Orthodox Monks. Arrange to stay for the night at the Monastery then get up early and pilgramage up to Mt Sinai to see the sunrise over Saudi Arabia. Take the mule trail up, but walk down the 3000 steps of repentence.

I did all this in Febuary. A cooler time of year for diving but excellent temps for everything else.
    Last edited by ScaredSilly; 08-16-2007 at 14:15.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaredSilly View Post
    I was in the Red Sea 10 years ago as part my 4 month of traveling around countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

First, if you are traveling that far plan at least some time along the Nile. Start in Cairo for a few days and then take the train down to Aswan and then work your way back up to Luxor and back to Cairo. Travel light for this (i.e. leave dive gear at your hotel in Cairo.)

Diving out of Sharm is good fun.,,,
    Yeah, I'm certaintly planning on including Cairo and Luxor at a minimum if I head that far. My high-level initial routing though was: Cairo, then the overnight train down to Luxor (need to decide is Aswan is something I need to include) then head over the Red Sea. I hadn't planned on heading back to Cairo, rather taking the bus from Luxor to Hurghada and boarding a liveaboard.

as I read more, I understand the ferry from Hurghada to Sharm isn't that long and that might be an option.
    Tom

Grouper Founding Member
    check out the latest X-Ray Mag:
    www.xray-mag.com/article/421

quite a bit about the Red Sea diving.

TadPole
    I have lived in Egypt for a few years and agree that diving in the Red Sea is some of the best i have ever done.
    Dahab is the place that i like to go because of the relaxed attitude and beautiful diving. Dahab is mostly shore diving including a few sites that you can only get to by camel or 4X4. The dive sites of Tiran and Ras Mohamed are still accepible to you if you stay in Dahab you just have to hop a car to Sharm to catch the dive boat.
    Hurghada has a few sites but again the best sites (ie Thistlegorm Wreck) can be reached by boat from Sharm el Sheik.
    Marsa Alam is a bit farther from Cairo than Dahab so i was only able to go there a few times is amazing. The dive sites are a bit more advanced but way more untouched. I have stayed at the Eco lodge there and with thier unlimited house reef diving i was doing 5 dives a day. The way the house reef is set up is that you fill in a white board with your planed dive be it having a zodiak drop you off or pick you up, which side you will dive and what time you are going in. When you get out you log that you are out so that they can keep track of people in the water.

Guppy
    Due to brief rains and little runoff in some areas the visibility is so great it makes the dive seem surreal. You literally can not see the water many times.
    Who says Arabian Gulf Divers are mineless idiots?

Grouper Founding Member
    I hate to be the berrer of bad news, but I have a friend who just returned from the Red Sea and he said the diving was medioco at best, which shocked the heck out of me. He said there are over 350 liveaboards in the Red Sea, according to the veteren divers there and there has been alot of overfishing, pollution, etc. There was one dive site that their boat passed that had 13 liveaboards anchored and tied to each other at the site. He said the Caribbean is better. He couldn't believe that he was saying it and was disappointed, however the land portion of the trip to Cairo and other places was fantastic.
    RonC.

TadPole

Headed to Sharm in 3 weeks

Going to Sharm in 3 weeks and all I've heard and read has been positive. From the diving to the interaction with the locals and all else. The only criticism I've heard so far is that Sharm is overrun with Russians. I'm not sure what the means but I guess I'll find out. We're going with dive club out of Houston and hooking up with another group out of Amsterdam. Plan on being in Sharm 12 days and diving 10 days with a one day break in between to do some local touring. Leaving Sharm a couple of days early to go to Cairo and tour the Pyramids, etc for 2 days.

Am staying and diving with Oonas Dive Club http://www.oonasdiveclub.com/. They are a Brit run operation and all Iíve heard is good things there as well. I know so far with all the dealings Iíve had with them regarding pre trip planning and tour arrangements, theyíve been 1st class. Also, the cost is amazing. The way I figure it with air, lodging and diving for 2 weeks it will run a little more than 1 week in Coz.

Iíll give you a first hand report, if you want, when back.

Ps. As far as Ramadan, no big deal. I lived in Algeria for 3 years and the other posters are right on. During the day and especially towards the end of Ramadan, things do slow down and the folks observing Ramadan can get a little cranky (totally understandable).

TadPole
    Does anyone have any specific liveaboard recommendations as I planning a Red Sea trip in 2008.

Thanks,

Vanessar

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information