Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zebulon Pike

Images

Zebulon Pike

Calling all the experts back...

About a year ago on SB, there was a very good post on the history of the Zebulon Pike. But, all that information got lost when the other forum crashed.

As stated in the "Table Rock Thread", what I remember is that there was some debate over the boat at the bottom of the lake actually being the Zebulon Pike. Some say the Zeb is docked in a nearby by marina and what is at the bottom of the lake is "The General". Some of you had some very good information on the history of the boat. If you still have this, could you repost it here?

S. Nagel

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Calling all the experts back...

About a year ago on SB, there was a very good post on the history of the Zebulon Pike. But, all that information got lost when the other forum crashed.

As stated in the "Table Rock Thread", what I remember is that there was some debate over the boat at the bottom of the lake actually being the Zebulon Pike. Some say the Zeb is docked in a nearby by marina and what is at the bottom of the lake is "The General". Some of you had some very good information on the history of the boat. If you still have this, could you repost it here?

S. Nagel
    My understanding is that the "Zebulon Pike" is really the first "Branson Belle", but they changed the name for obvious reasons....
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The Zebulon Pike was at the other Marina, I've seen it with my own eyes last year and the year before. It is the real Zebulon Pike and what's on the bottom is the boat that you got on and had your drinks etc. Or so that's the history the locals have told me.

It was supposed to have been a barge before it was modified and turned into what it is/was.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    The Zebulon Pike was at the other Marina, I've seen it with my own eyes last year and the year before. It is the real Zebulon Pike and what's on the bottom is the boat that you got on and had your drinks etc. Or so that's the history the locals have told me.

It was supposed to have been a barge before it was modified and turned into what it is/was.
    We camp at Cricket Creek a lot during the summer, and I saw the boat your talking about. It was moored at the south end of the marina. It was in terrible shape, and I wondered if someone planned on restoring it or what. It disappeared early last summer, but I'll bet the folks at Cricket know the whole story.

I kind of thought a person could buy it cheap and refit it, wonder if that's what happened.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grand Master Spammer
    I found this VERY cool bit of info. Read the email below the pic (which had a link to the pic at Cricket Creek) In the right of the pic you can just see the bow of the Zeb. Evidentially, the boat at Indian Point was the barge they used as a dock for the Zeb? So what about the Branson Belle story???

Re: Hannah Kildahl

Remote Name: 12.43.88.164
    Date: 10/26/03
    Time: 12:46:44 PM

Comments

I can tell you a bit about her as to the last 30 years or so. I understand that she went out of service with the death of here builder/owner in the mid '60s; In about 1972 she was purchased by a Twin Cites excursion boat operator who added rails to the upper deck so that passengers could go up there via a spiral stairway located just behind the pilothouse. The Twin cities operator sold her in about 1975, and she ran, i beleive, one season on the Missouri River and one season on Kentucky Lake, then went to Little Rock Ar. on the Arkansas River, and was hauled overland to Table Rock Lake in Southwest Missouri. She ran on Table Rock for into the mid '80s under the name of Zebulon Pike (which the Twin cites operator gave here) A gentleman, whos name I will not post, bought her in about '80 or '81, when the prime interest rate was around 18%, and could not make a go of it. By 1989 she was abandoned in a cove on Indian Point (close to Silver Dollar City) The Army Corp of Engineers took her over, along with a barge that had been used as her dock (the barge was originally a ferry flat on the Mississippi River, and later used as an Excursion boat on Table Rock Lake until being retired to the position of dock barge. The barge was named "General Pike.") Anyway, the Corp took over both the Zebulon and the General. The General was intentionaly sunk as a dive site while the Zebulon was apparently transfered to private ownership. By the late '90s the Zebulon was still afloat and tied up, inactive, at Cricket Creek marina on TableRockLake. If you go to Dock Pictures and scroll-down to the third photo in the column, the blue-painted bow of the Zebulon Pike can be seen at the right margin on the photo. Some diver websites mistakenly refer to the sunken General Pike as the Zebulon Pike. Twin Cummins diesels (one having been replaced in 1981) with Twin disc manually- shifted gearboxes. There was a story that, while being operated in Chicago, a large wave washed several people off of a breakwater, and that the Hannah rescued them, earning a praising letter from the Coast Guard. I know nothing earlier than the above, other than what has already been posted on this board.

Shark Founding Member

Smile

OK....I have never dove this lake ....... so what will one find at this 'dive site' in terms of a craft? Any photos? I have read a bit about this site but not much info. on the craft itself.
    Last edited by texdiveguy; 02-17-2008 at 11:13.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Images
    What I remember on the dive, is that you find the stump. At the bottom of the stump is a line that takes you to the "Zeb" or "General" (whatever it is, I'll just say "boat"). When we dove it, it was very murky and kinda "haunting" you are following the line and then all of a sudden you see this huge ferry boat. It was in about 85 feet. It looked like it had two maybe three decks. What stands out in my mind is that there was chain link fencing that had been attached to the top, but now it was falling down. I remember this because I was watching it all the time while keeping an eye on my two buddies. I kept thinking if that falls they are trapped. We dove completely around the boat and then found the line back up.

We didn't get any pictures of it at the time, because none of us brought our camera. Nemrod has a lot of information on it and has even posted some very nice sonar pictures of it.

S. Nagel

It's funny, I don't recall clearly a fence but I usually look at the stacks or the bottom of it, sometimes crossing over the top to see what's there. I vaguely remember something but can't describe it so it could be a fence.

I know it was a barge but I can't put the pictures of what I know a barge to look like and what this looks like. The two don't match up IMO. Of course it was sure to have had work done on it because you don't party too much on a barge.

Didn't it have wood planking on the floor that's going away bit by bit?
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Images
    I was floating around the web and came across a newspaper article from the New York Times. The article was about Branson and what to. Half way into the article it says...

From Silver Dollar City, there's a view of Table Rock Lake, one of three impoundments of the White River in Missouri. It's earned a reputation as a big bass lake. There's lunker bass, spotted bass, white bass, crappie and bluegills. Watersports abound around here, and the Zebulon Pike excursion boat provides a tour of the lake. The many resorts and campgrounds on its shoreline are served by such towns as Lakeview, Reeds Spring, Kimberling City, Lampe and Blue Eye.

.......I just thought this was interesting, given what has been said.

S. Nagel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information