Thread: Speaking of having your gear serviced

Grouper

Speaking of having your gear serviced

We took ours in and got the expected result.....non serviceable regs/octos (Dacor pre 2000), and 1 BC again Dacor, needed the inflator hose replaced, broken. So O.K. to the hose, ready in 2wks. So we go in to pick this gear up, and the bill was way low (hose was susposed to be @ $70, the bill was $35). So I look at the Dacor BC and the old hose is still on it! The staff girl had no idea as what was going on, but pointed out that a inflator kit was on the invoice. So, it had been done. My Zena came home with me, and I left the dacor there followed by a pone call to them the next day. Another staff answered, I explained, and her reply to my inquiry was, "if it hadn't been serviced, it wouldn't have been out here for pick-up!" YIKES! So, I phone again the next day and get "my guy"(we've been using this LDS for the past 12 yrs). He's very helpful, as usual, and will get right on this. The next day, we were in the city and stopped in on a whim, and presto..it was done! He explained that the service tags for pick up had been somehow switched, and that the Zena got the hose kit, and the Dacor was put aside, and got missed, but it did have a non-servicable sticker on it. Now, had we not questioned this initially, taken the jackets, and gone diving with a non functioning inflator hose....he wears 32lbs lead!!! And I know pre-check dive routine, and preform them every dive, but I've seen people who don't.

Now, I'm not trying to bash LDS's but come on owners( of any business) make sure your staff are up to speed, daily and if they don't know, train them to ask, not go on the defensive!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by boates View Post
    We took ours in and got the expected result.....non serviceable regs/octos (Dacor pre 2000), and 1 BC again Dacor, needed the inflator hose replaced, broken. So O.K. to the hose, ready in 2wks. So we go in to pick this gear up, and the bill was way low (hose was susposed to be @ $70, the bill was $35). So I look at the Dacor BC and the old hose is still on it! The staff girl had no idea as what was going on, but pointed out that a inflator kit was on the invoice. So, it had been done. My Zena came home with me, and I left the dacor there followed by a pone call to them the next day. Another staff answered, I explained, and her reply to my inquiry was, "if it hadn't been serviced, it wouldn't have been out here for pick-up!" YIKES! So, I phone again the next day and get "my guy"(we've been using this LDS for the past 12 yrs). He's very helpful, as usual, and will get right on this. The next day, we were in the city and stopped in on a whim, and presto..it was done! He explained that the service tags for pick up had been somehow switched, and that the Zena got the hose kit, and the Dacor was put aside, and got missed, but it did have a non-servicable sticker on it. Now, had we not questioned this initially, taken the jackets, and gone diving with a non functioning inflator hose....he wears 32lbs lead!!! And I know pre-check dive routine, and preform them every dive, but I've seen people who don't.

Now, I'm not trying to bash LDS's but come on owners( of any business) make sure your staff are up to speed, daily and if they don't know, train them to ask, not go on the defensive!
    Especially a sport like scuba where a mistake or misunderstanding like this could cause injury or death to someone. I would only deal when dropping off or picking up gear with the owner or person servicing the gear. That would help prevent this.

Barracuda
    32 lbs of lead is he diving dry thats a bit much

Barracuda
    I just picked up 4 regs yesterday from my LDS, and insisted on testing them at the shop. 1 of them had the diaphragm seated incorrectly, and immediately you could hear air coming out, followed 1 min later by the IP creep and the 2nd stage going into FF. Glad I checked the regs there before bringing them to florida.

I also made the shop owner do a flow analysis on the other 3 regs to make sure they were done properly. Always test before diving on it...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by rox@ucf11 View Post
    32 lbs of lead is he diving dry thats a bit much
    Oops! 23lbs, 3/4" farmer john&jacket!! It's cold up here!

Barracuda
    That is why I service my own gear......

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    That is why I service my own gear......
    I would if I could get my hands on oceanic parts kits and the special wrench you need.

Grouper
    Call scubatoys. Parts are not listed on the site, but they will hook you up.

Thread Information