Thread: Attaching Atomic SS1 to Seaquest BCD?

Attaching Atomic SS1 to Seaquest BCD?

In my quest to learn about integrated octo-inflators I had originally been looking at the Aqualung Airsource 3 (thought you had to have the same as your BC). Doing more research and getting peoples opinions, the Atomic SS1 seems to be the most highly regarded option.

Theres a snag though. I have read that there could be problems connecting the SS1 to a SeaQuest BC (yet others say no problems). Does anyone have this setup - can you provide any assistance Joe / Larry? On that note do scubatoys sell the SS1 since I couldn't see it on the website?

Confused!

TadPole

Seaquest bcd inflator regulator

Well I have that exact setup. So, I have a Seaquest BCD. Mine is about five years old but it is a Balance air integrated model and they haven't changed from the inflator setup perspective. I have an Atomic SS1 and what I did for install was to remove the black tie wrap that secures the existing mouthpiece, use one of the Atomic supplied BCD hose convertors...I believe I used the middle size one, reattach the bcd dump cable, and re-tie wrap.

The ONLY issue that I have is that the BCD hose has clips for the LP inflator hose. Those are on the "wrong" side in comparison to the SS1 reg. Not that big of a deal. Actualy what I did was just twist the reg so that the hose is on the "correct" side.

Just so you know, the Atomic LP inflator hose is wider than what the seaquest bcd hose clips can accomodate. The other thing is the hose a little short. During testing, I noticed some jaw strain because of that. Oh well! The SS1 i a good reg. I do not plan on needing it but I have 4 2nd stages when I dive. My prominent setup is the Atomic ST1 reg with a B2 Octopus and the SS1 bcd octo. I also dive with a spare air

I have been diving for 25 years...started when I was 13 and have run into many a scary situation rescuing people...thankfully never myself! Good Luck

Grouper
    Just to add to the conversation, I have the SS1 attached to a transpac. When I added it to the rig, I needed to replace the corrugated hose with a longer 18' hose. This will allow you to turn your head while breathing off the SS1. I also have a dive alert that attaches to the SS1. However, when I attach the dive alert, it makes the whole setup stiff. It's like the hose is stiff for about 3 inches to the left where the dive alert is clipped. It's still usable but uncomfortable to use for any length of time. One other thing to consider is that I like to have a real streamlined rig. The SS1 makes the hose heavy and hang down. I personally have bungied the SS1 to my harness so that it won't hang, but not so tight that I can't access it quickly in an emergency.

TadPole

Atomic SS1 to Seaquest BCD

I noticed that the Atomic Aquatics inflator hose that comes with the SS1 is longer than both the inflator hose and the corrugated hose that came with the Seaquest BCD. Everything installed fine, but during use, the longer Atomic hose, in combination with the shorter corrugated hose, pulled the SS1 out of my mouth.

My understanding is that the Atomic hose is more of a standard length, whereas the Seaquest hoses are shorter than standard.

There didn't seem to be an easy way of lengthening the Seaquest corrugated hose (and internal dump wire), so I purchased a shorter (4 inches shorter) inflator hose with a Scubapro style quick disconnect. I also put an Aqualung Comfo-bite mouth piece on the SS1 for better grip. These seemed to do the trick and I can now use the SS1 more safely, without it being pulled out of my mouth.

I also found that adding an in-line signal device (Dive Alert) did not work for me because it made the setup inflexible and too cluttered. The Dive Alert would sometimes rotate in the way.

I hope this information proves useful.
    Last edited by Fishwatcher; 07-11-2008 at 06:55.

Guppy
    I had the SS1 on a Balance and found the SeaQuest BC hose to be very stiff and it tended to "spring" the regulator out of my mouth. I would suggest changing the BC hose to one that is more flexible, and also change the SS1 lp hose to a Miflex regulator (not BC) hose. The SS1 quick attachment fitting screws on to the end of a standard regulator hose and is covered by the rubber cover. I recently installed an SS1 on a Venture Wing, changed the lp SS1 hose from the 28" factory hose to a 22" Miflex regulator hose (again NOT a BC hose) and everything works great.

TadPole
    The MiFlex won't fit the SS1 connector. Currently the MiFlex only come with the older smaller diameter QD connectors. There are converters available- but I'm not sure how these will affect the breathing qualities of the SS1. I have the Zeagle product, which has the same connector as the Atomic. Anybody tried one with the converter inline?

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
    The MiFlex won't fit the SS1 connector. Currently the MiFlex only come with the older smaller diameter QD connectors. There are converters available- but I'm not sure how these will affect the breathing qualities of the SS1. I have the Zeagle product, which has the same connector as the Atomic. Anybody tried one with the converter inline?
    I've used a converter in the past, but not on a MiFlex hose. I can't see how it would affect the breathing at all. As wmspdi said, Just buy a standard Miflex hose, not an inflator hose if you are going this route. The adapter screws in where the 2nd stage normally would go.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
    I've used a converter in the past, but not on a MiFlex hose. I can't see how it would affect the breathing at all. As wmspdi said, Just buy a standard Miflex hose, not an inflator hose if you are going this route. The adapter screws in where the 2nd stage normally would go.
    Yes sir!
    Wmspdi was right on.

As for the Dive Alert. I keep mine clipped off in a pocket, rather than installed inline.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Thread Information