Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this bag exist?

Grouper
    Images

Does this bag exist?

I would like to have a bag that will hold all of my gear. Mask, Fins, BC, boots, gloves, lights, 3 mil full (it would be even better if it could hlod my 7mil jumpsuit) and still get onto an airplane with no extra fees. If anyone has any models they know of, please let me know!
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emcbride81 View Post
    I would like to have a bag that will hold all of my gear. Mask, Fins, BC, boots, gloves, lights, 3 mil full (it would be even better if it could hlod my 7mil jumpsuit) and still get onto an airplane with no extra fees. If anyone has any models they know of, please let me know!
    for travel purposes, i use one of the larger wheeled standard luggage bags. i always worried that buying an Akona or US Divers travel bag was advertising "STEAL ME"... but that's just me

and i usually carry my reg and computer in my carryon just because i want it with me but it would all fit. please, dont ask me the measurements... out of the 5pc that came in my set, it's the biggest

oh, and i can even get my BOAT bag into it too which is a wheeled, mesh backpack.

the airlines are more worried about the weight of your bag i think.
    Karen - I may not know what I'm doing, but by god I'm having fun doing it!

Barracuda
    I have one of these:
    Rolling Adventure Duffle: Rolling Luggage at L.L.Bean

I have a large. The xl pushes the airline rules depending on the airline. It is well built and holds a ton of gear without looking like a ton of valuable scuba gear. I carry on my reg and will carry on my FFM once I get it next week.

I believe Mary Poppins had just what you're looking for.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post

OH YEAH! She was pretty hot!!! Oh...you were talking about the bag...right...*ahem*
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The problem is partly the bag, and partly the gear. Different BCs can weigh wildly different amounts, as can fins.

I'd take a close look at the Akona bag that's advertised in every scuba mag on the planet these days. 9 pounds, and holds a full set of gear. How much over that 9 pounds you're going to go is obviously dependent on how much YOUR gear weighs.

I did a lot research on lightweight bags before my recent trip to Thailand (one bag, 44 lb limit!!!!), and for traditional rolling luggage type bags, 8-9 lbs is as light as you'll get. I bought some nice Victorinox luggage instead of the Akona bag, but I'm sure that would be good, too, and cheaper. Only way to guarantee lighter is to move to duffel bags, which are as light as it's going to get, but definitely no frills (or wheels, telescoping handles, etc.).

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post

OH YEAH! She was pretty hot!!! Oh...you were talking about the bag...right...*ahem*
    thanks... that was the last of my milk and it's now shot clear across the room.
    Karen - I may not know what I'm doing, but by god I'm having fun doing it!

TadPole
    I want that bag too.

All gear (minus Reg & computer which are carryon). I'm even willing to skip the rollers (lifting weights is considered exercise, and yes - I'm the guy you see in the airport carrying his suitcase instead of rolling it - unless I have multiple bags, but I digress). Roller bags and duffels all seem to be in the 11 - 12lb range.

I want a strong bag (zippers), no rollers, that can carry my stuff and the straps won't break after one trip.

Bueller? Bueller?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I want that bag too.

All gear (minus Reg & computer which are carryon). I'm even willing to skip the rollers (lifting weights is considered exercise, and yes - I'm the guy you see in the airport carrying his suitcase instead of rolling it - unless I have multiple bags, but I digress). Roller bags and duffels all seem to be in the 11 - 12lb range.

I want a strong bag (zippers), no rollers, that can carry my stuff and the straps won't break after one trip.

Bueller? Bueller?
    Check this out. I've had one of these all over the place and it is still in good shape. It has a cordura bottom which helps w/ wear and the straps are stitched in like crazy. I have yet to have a single problem with mine and it has been all over the world with me. That's the bag I am bringing w/ me to FL next week.

And LLBean stands behind everything they sell. If the thing gets run over by a plane and the stitching pulls, they would probably replace it. The CS is amazing. I had a pair of hiking boots wear out really quickly and they were more than happy to replace them.

Adventure Duffle: Duffles and Gear Bags at L.L.Bean

I'd recommend a large bag, the xl is too big for some airlines.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I have an Akona Roller bag, can fit all of my gear and my wife's and I am just at the limit. Compudude is right. A lot depends upon your gear. Sometimes if you are really nice to the airline people they will forgive a few pounds here or there. I usually check in at the curb, and I find that a nice tip does wonders for their scale.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information