Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this gear set?

Grouper

Should I buy this gear set?

scuba equipment full set of gear

The guy wants $550 for everything. He said all the equipment was used for 12 dives. The wetsuit he has is 8mm.
    -Matt

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    The description leaves a little to be desired. I'll assume that there is no computer since he doesn't say anything about it. Sea Elite isn't really a brand - it's a renamed house brand so it no one will really have parts kits... but may be able to figure it out by looking at it which kit could work in it.

The tanks will probably need hydro and vis - so you're looking at around 30 bucks a piece or more to get them usable.

Looks like a very old style wetsuit... but can't really see any of the other stuff too well. Don't know if the BC is even weight integrated or not. So just guessing, you're looking at a 8 year old version of this package: Caribbean Value Package, Packages: BC and Reg, Aeris, Caribbean Value Package with a few tanks that are out of hydro. Hard to say if a mask that old, fins, etc will be of much use.

Really, I see things like that for sale all the time for about half that price - so even though I'd rather see you buy new stuff for multiple reasons - I'd probably say that's not that good of a deal.

But I'm sure you'll get some opinions from some other folks who don't own a dive shop!

Grouper
    I don't own a dive shop but I also agree from the description that Larry hit the nail on the head. Depending on the age of the tanks they may be 6351 alloy that may be very difficult to find some one to fill them, etc. I would pass on this deal. Craigslist has some good deals from time to time but you need to know what you are looking at.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I don't believe it's worth his asking price, plus the wetsuit may be falling apart at this point anyways. Neoprene isn't a forever type thing, it's going to get soft and break when stretched.

The brand regs he's got from what I know of them I'd stear clear. I knew 2 guys who got them and both returned them because they were pretty poor quality units.

I hate to say it, look elsewhere, IMO.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Barracuda
    Images
    There's a reason why the pics are small and grainy. Save your cash.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

TadPole
    In a word...NO!
    While she may have to kiss a lot of frogs to find her knight in shining armor, you will have to kiss a lot of fish to find your mermaid!

Barracuda Founding Member
    I think it's a lousy deal and typical of what I see on craigslist although there are exceptions. People who aren't really divers who only remember how much they spent and want to recoup their investment.

All that old crap will need service and parts will be hard to find. Sea Elite is the house brand for Divers Supply. The package Larry showed as an example is a great deal for a beginner and really leaves no excuse why anyone would waste money renting. You could add in all the other accessories and have all new gear with warranty (less the tanks) for $550.
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Grouper
    Sounds good then, I won't buy it. I do know a few friends who first learned to dive, and just handed the dive shop owner a credit card and told them to put whatever equipment is needed on the card. Then 2 dives later they got bored with it and have thousands of dollars of equipment lying around. Hopefully I can get a good deal from them, but that Caribbean set looks hard to beat.
    -Matt

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Not very impressed,,,,,,,,,,
    DevilDiver

Barracuda
    Images
    The 4-7 years leaves alot to be desire....

He doesn't mention if any of the gear went through any inspection, service, or repair so you could be looking at I would say imho, around $150 or $200 in parts, repair and service, that is if the item's warranty would transfer to another person.

My best suggestion is to go out and buy the gears you like!
    Now a trimix diver!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information