Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duffle of backpack?

Duffle of backpack?

Im needing to get my first bag for my dive gear. I only have around 30-40 to spend. Whats better a duffle bag or a packback style? Also is mesh good to have?
    ^_^=>_<

I don't know whether duffle or backpack is better, but I mesh is good for keeping wet stuff aired out to stop mold from growing.
    Talk to your local SSI dealer for more information.

Grouper
    My buddy has a large zip open duffel (it may be army surplus) that works for him and is easy to stow in the trunk. I use a large Rubber Maid container so the wet gear does not get saltwater or sand in my car. Mesh would be good to have if it is only on the top part of the bag - so sand and water does not drop out the bottom or get in the bottom.
    For live aboard boat dives, a hard Rubber Maid container is good to protect your gear from abuse such as from a tank or someone falling against your bag. Tie the lid to container, so it won't blow away on the boat.
    Last edited by cmburch; 03-01-2008 at 06:35.

Good info to know.
    ^_^=>_<

Grouper
    I have both. Started with BP and moved to duffle. BP easier to carry, duffle easier to load/unload. So it depends on how long a walk to have to get to the boat or dive site. My BP has a built in dry bag which is nice too. Mesh is essential.
    Thanks,
    Capt. Freddie

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    I use the best of both worlds. I keep my dry stuff in my backpack/duffel bag from ST. Here is the link. I put my wet stuff in a large plastic bin so that my vehicle doesn't get yucky.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Mesh is good for a boat bag for smaller boats, but not necessarily the best for general transport. What kind of conditions are you diving in? Warm, cold? Shore diving, beach diving, air travel to warm water only? How much gear?

Hard to give general recommendations when there are so many right answers that are drastically different depending on the conditions.

Grouper
    i've got a mesh jansport backpack that works pretty well. duffle bags just seem to get soaking wet, especially if you wear a stow a jacket BC!

TadPole
    I have a mesh backpack for dive boats. Lake diving I keep all my stuff in a rubbermaid.

I'm with the large Rubbermaid tote crowd, it also doubles as a rinse bucket. When absolutely neccesary I use an old duffel bag and that still goes into the tote to keep my van dry.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information